Yorkshire Terriers can make great family pets.
Zoe (@yorkie_zoe) is a great ambassador for Yorkies with nearly 30,000 followers on Instagram.
This New Yorker Yorkie has a young human companion who features heavily on her Instagram page.
The pair are inseparable, proving that Yorkshire Terriers do well in families with young children.
We spoke to Zoe’s Mom to learn more about daily life with Yorkshire Terriers as well as their social media success.
Zoe the Yorkie Questions and Answers
1) How did you first hear about Yorkies?
Actually my wife and I were looking for a dog that was friendly, that did not bark much and could also travel. Our idea was to travel as much as possible with this new member of our family and that would include plane travels. So, after doing some research we found another breed before Yorkshire Terrier. After a little while, we ended up meeting Zoe and the rest is history.
2) How did you end up with Zoe?
On our mission to find the perfect pup we met Zoe. My wife used to take her previous dog to a pet salon for her weekly bath and the salon owner knew that we were looking for a new dog after Hannah past away. One day he called us and said that one of his clients just had puppies and one of them was with him at the moment. The minute we saw her we knew. That was it, love at first sight.
3) What is her personality like?
She’s crazy. There’s no way to put it differently. Restless, alway happy, playful and extremely friendly. We always joke that if a thief get into our house she would greet them and lay down for a good belly rub.
4) Do Yorkies make great family pets?
They most definitely do. Zoe is a great example of that. She was our first baby and when our son came along, she was jealous at the beginning (as expected), but now they are like siblings. Love each other and fight every once and a while.
5) Zoe seems to have a great rapport with your son. Can you shed light on the clear bond between them?
Zoe and our son have a blast. Our son is always looking for her around the house. He’s the one that feeds here, changes her water bowl, plays with her and take her for walks. Actually, he’s been taking her for walk ever since he started walking. And Zoe loves all the attention she can get.
6) Do you believe Yorkies are suited to families with young children based upon your experience?
Yorkies are great with children. Zoe, for example, loves little ones and when our son was little, she took care of him like he was her son. I can’t stress enough how much love they have for each other.
7) How much exercise do Yorkies require a day?
They are very agile and playful little creatures. That means they require some level of exercise. We used to live on the beach prior to moving up north, and Zoe was used to play pretty much every single day in the sand. After moving up north, she got used to having a backyard, snow and squirrels. She loves to chase squirrels. If they had this as an Olympic category, I would definitely sign her up.
8) Do Yorkies shed a lot?
Not at all. She looses some hair here and there, but nothing in comparison with any other small breed.
9) What advice would you give to someone thinking about getting a Yorkie?
They will love you to death and you need to be ready for that.
10) Would you recommend a Yorkie to a first-time dog owner?
Yes, they are a perfect companion for someone who’s learning how to deal with another little life. Zoe was a nightmare when little (chewing everything, peeing everywhere) but we got along and she’s such a great dog to have alongside us.
11) Does Zoe get a lot of attention out and about?
All the time. That’s one of the reasons why we started her IG account. She’s so photogenic and friendly that we felt she needed the extra attention from everyone.
12) What’s the best thing about having an Instagram account for your dogs?
The community. Dog community is such a strong bond, that brings people together from all over the world. For the past year we have been away from her IG (dealing with our little one growing up), but even so we get to remain in contact with our virtual fur friends.
13) Do you have a favourite Instagram post?
That’s hard to tell. We love to see both of our children online.
14) How much time do you dedicate to your Instagram page?
We used to be better before. Now I would say that we check every once and a while, but when we started it was like a full time job.
15) What other dog Instagram accounts would you recommend?
@happyyorkiefamily @diesel_minnie @yorkieheaven @kfitzy @oreo.bb @leeleigh50 @texaswoofpack @dessanberg @toto.popo @agnesandlilyerdei to name a few
Yorkies pros and cons
• Playful – always ready to play and to greet someone
• Friendly – they are such a lovely breed
• Lovely – well, that says it all. They are sweet little creatures full of love
• Demanding – they will steal your heart and will be around you all the time – ALL THE TIME
• Knee problems – that’s real guys, they have bad knees (Zoe already had surgery)