Sushi is a Cockapoo with nearly one million fans on TikTok.
This funny Cockapoo is based in Los Angeles, California where she truly is a dog star.
Sushi is a cute doggy model and a proficient video content creator on TikTok who loves to make her fans laugh.
Her most popular post has over 15 million views on the video-sharing platform.
We spoke to Sushi’s mom Teresa to learn more Cockapoos as well as her success on TikTok.
Sushi the Cockapoo Questions And Answers
1) How did you first hear about Cockapoos?
I first heard about Cockapoos when I saw a photo to re-home Sushi in the classifieds. Back then, Cockapoo was not a designer dog breed yet.
2) Can you give us some backstory about how you ended up with Sushi?
I got Sushi from a classified ad. Sushi was two months old and belonged to a 13-year-old girl who could not keep her. Before she became Sushi, her name was Princess Bella. We named her Sushi because she looked like a little rice ball.
3) Can you tell us a little about Sushi’s personality?
Sushi is extremely intelligent, sensitive, and very expressive. She is also very particular about her wants and needs. Example #1 – she loves cheese but will only eat “real” cheeses. She refuses to eat American, processed, or Krafts cheese. Example #2 – she loves pistachios and almonds but will not eat them unless you chew them up for her first. She wants everything done a certain way.
4) What’s the best thing about owning a Cockapoo?
I love how intelligent and affectionate they are. Sushi is really good at making an emotional connection with us by staring deeply into our eyes. She makes great eye contact, and always tries so hard to understand whenever we talk.
5) Are Cockapoos easy to train?
Yes, Sushi is extremely easy to train. She currently knows about 40 commands. She is very treat motivated, praise motivated, and eager to please. I can see the frustration and determination in her eyes when she doesn’t understand a new command. Most commands that I’ve taught her only takes her 5-10 tries, then we reinforce the commands consistently after that. Doing tricks is really fun and mentally stimulating for her. The only reason that she doesn’t know more commands is because I don’t how to teach her more complicated tricks.
6) Do Cockapoos need a lot of exercise?
Sushi does not need a lot of exercise, but also has great endurance. The longest hike she has ever done was 13 miles, and she never needed to stop. She also can lounge at home all day with no problem.
7) Do Cockapoos shed?
My Cockapoo does not shed, and most Cockapoos do not shed. However, they are half Cocker Spaniel, so I have heard of some Cockapoos who shed.
8) Would you recommend a Cockapoo to a first-time dog owner?
I would say that for the most part, a Cockapoo is great for a first-time dog owner. But with any smart dog, you have to be good with training them. Smart dogs can get bored or be stubborn about obedience. I was a first-time dog owner when I got Sushi. There were many things that I had to be very firm with her about, or else she would ignore or take advantage of me.
9) How did you first hear about TikTok?
I joined TikTok when it was still called Music.ly. My good friend @Huxleythepandapuppy on TikTok told me about the growth opportunities on the app.
10) How does it feel to have amassed such a big following on TikTok?
It feels amazing to pour out your creativity, and have others truly appreciate your artistic expression. And having a celebrity dog does have some perks.
11) Did you have a particular video that went viral?
Yes, our first viral video was this:
12) What tips and tricks would you have for other dog owners on TikTok?
For those starting out, find the TikTok accounts that inspire you. Try to emulate their style and experiment until you develop your own style.
13) Do you prefer using TikTok over Instagram? If so, why?
Yes, because TikTok currently has more growth opportunities and is more lighthearted, allowing us to be more expressive and fun.
14) Will you celebrate reaching 1 million?
Yes! That has been my magic number for so long.
15) What other TikTok dog accounts would you recommend to our followers?
Cockapoo Pros and Cons
• Intelligent – It is easy to teach them tricks or do agility.
• Incredibly cute – They have the best of both worlds of the Cocker Spaniel and the Poodle, but with a face that is cuter than both breeds when combined.
• Non-shedding – They can sleep in your bed and hang out on your furniture without leaving a mark or a scent. Because they are non-shedding, they also do not smell.
• Affectionate – They love to kiss. They just love you so much.
• Stubborn – They are smart, so they need training. Or else they will cause havoc around the house or learn to ignore you.
• Does not like to cuddle – Sushi originally did not like to cuddle with us, and preferred to sleep at the foot of the bed when she was a puppy. Fortunately, she has gotten cuddlier and cuddlier as time passed by.
• Does not fetch – She prefers to keep the ball or play tug-o-war, but does not fetch. After 8 years, we barely got her to fetch. She does it very reluctantly and only for treats.