Mocha is one of Instagram’s best-known Pomeranians.
The chocolate and fawn Pom has over 391,000 followers on Instagram.
You can get a real glimpse into her life through her beautiful photos and interesting videos.
But we wanted to learn a little bit more about Mocha to get an even better understanding of the breed.
We were also interested in finding out a little bit more about their social media tips.
So without further ado, let’s start our interview with Mocha (@mochapom_).
1) How did you first hear about Pomeranians?
I was looking for a dog at the time and started looking up small breeds. That’s when I came across Pomeranians and fell in love instantly!
What attracted you to the breed? I love how fluffy they are and their tiny faces under all that fluff!
2) Has owning a Pomeranian lived up to your expectations?
Yes, definitely! Above and beyond. Having Mocha has been life changing and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
3) Can you give an insight into Mocha’s personality?
Mocha is loving and affectionate. She is always up for cuddles and always likes to be nearby (I will usually find her sleeping above my pillow at night!). She also loves to play with her squeaky toys (the squeakier the better), going for runs and walks. She loves doing zoomies around the house. She will run around from one room to another and tire herself out. She can be stubborn at times too. You know when she is not in the mood to do something. Her followers know this – sometimes when we are out for a walk and she doesn’t feel like walking any further, she will sit on her bum and refuse to move.
4) What are the challenges of owning a Pomeranian?
I wouldn’t say that there are any challenges. They do need a lot of grooming though. So I always make time (even if it is just for 10 minutes) just to brush her fur so she doesn’t get any knots. You would be surprised how easily and quickly their coats can get knotted.
5) Do Pomeranians shed a lot?
Not really. She gets brushed daily – while she is being brushed, there is shedding but I never find any clumps of fur floating around the house.
Do Pomeranians bark a lot? Not in the case of Mocha – only when the doorbell rings or when the mailman arrives for delivery. Otherwise, she doesn’t bark any more than what I’m used to hearing other dogs bark.
6) What other stereotypes do Pomeranians have and are they representative of the breed?
The main one that we have heard from other Pom owners is that their Pomeranians can be stubborn too. We have also heard from some that they don’t get along with bigger dogs (tend to get along among other Pomeranians or small breeds) and they can be picky eaters too. This is not true for all Pomeranians of course, but it is true for Mocha and some other Pomeranian owners that we speak to on Instagram also.
7) If you could dispel one myth about Pomeranians, what would it be?
That they bark a lot. Of course they bark but this is not any more than what other dogs do. We have been fortunate to meet quite a few other Pomeranians that live in our city and they haven’t been barkers either. I guess it will depend from dog to dog but it’s not how some of the internet articles make it out to be. I would say that they’re effective communicators. Sometimes Mocha will do these gentle barks to let me know when she wants something (whether it’s a toy that has gone under the couch or she needs to go outside for potty etc).
8) Do you think Pomeranians are a good option for first-time dog owners?
Pomeranians make great pets! They are loving, affectionate and smart. I’m a first time dog owner as well and there is nothing that I can say about going against it. As with any dog, I would recommend early socialisation so they get used to other dogs and people. I also recommend any first time Pomeranian owners to get them used to being groomed and brushed due to their long coat, they need regular grooming.
9) Why did you decide to start an Instagram page for Mocha?
I started to take a lot of photos of Mocha and I wanted to share these with others to make them happy as much as she makes me.
10) How much time do you spend on your Instagram page?
I spend about 1-2 hours daily on Instagram. Over the time she’s had an Instagram page, we have made some amazing friends all over the world. I like to look at their posts and engage with people that comment on Mocha’s photos too.
11) What is your favourite photo or post?
I couldn’t narrow this down to just one photo or post. There are too many!
12) What advice would you give to someone starting an Instagram page for their dog?
Depends what they are looking to gain with the page. I love to try and capture photos that represent Mocha’s daily life and adventures that we go on. I also try and get those ‘in between’ moments as well – where she might be doing something funny or is pulling a funny face. I run her account for her to spread the happiness so these moments are important for me to share with her friends and followers too. I post daily as her followers/friends like to see her daily.
13) What other Pomeranian accounts would you recommend?
There are so many that I could list on here! We have become friends with so many other Pomeranian owners from around the world. We recommend having a look at our following list on Instagram as all of those Pomeranian accounts are our such good friends!
Pomeranians pros and cons
• Loving: They’re loving, cuddly and affectionate. They follow you absolutely everywhere and happy to do whatever you might be doing.
• Upbeat: They’re always happy and smiling when family members come home. Highlight of the day!
• Smart: They learn tricks pretty easily and quickly. They can definitely outsmart every living thing in the house!
• Fussy eater: Sometimes refuses to eat her dinner or doesn’t feel like eating what is given to her. I will have to play little games (eg food fetch) to get her to eat.
• High maintenance: Their coats take a lot of maintenance. Need to do daily brushing, monthly trimming. Otherwise, knots can develop pretty easily. Also need to check their bum after they’ve gone to do number 2 just in case anything that may have been stuck on the fur.
• Health problems: There are also common health conditions with Pomeranians (Luxating patella and collapsed trachea).