Dachshunds are one of the most popular dog breeds in big cities across the world.
Their small size makes them ideal for urban living as they don’t take up a lot of room.
These beloved Doxies have seen their popularity soar since the advent of the internet.
With their unique physiques and charing personalities, it’s little wonder they’re such popular pooches.
Maya the Sausage is one small dog with a big social media presence with over 87,000 followers on Instagram.
We spoke to social media sensation Maya (@mayathesausage) to learn more about Dachshunds.
Maya The Dachshund Questions and Answers
1) How did you first hear about Dachshunds?
25 years ago I was looking for a small dog that would fit into our family. At the time I had a 3 year old and a 6 month old. A Dachshund seemed like a perfect fit!
2) How did you end up with your adorable Doxie pack?
After moving to the UK 13 years ago with my Dachshund (who sadly passed away a year later), I was heartbroken and waited eight years before getting Maya. The intention was only to get one, which as you can see didn’t happen! What can I say they are addictive!
3) Can you give us an insight into each of their personalities?
Maya is very shy and nervous around strangers and other dogs but is the most loving out of the girls. Stella just goes with the flow and copies the other two a lot (she was an ex-breeding do so didn’t really know how to be a pet). Peanut is the “boss” and rules the roost, but is the friendliest out of all three. She loves everyone and everything and is always ready to lick you to death if you give her the chance.
4) Would you consider getting a fourth Dachshund or is the balance just right?
I had only planned on one this time around and now have three so anything is possible!
5) Do Dachshunds like to cuddle?
Mine definitely do!
6) Can Dachshunds be left alone?
Mine are and are very happy (I have cameras set up at home so I can watch them and see that they spend most of the time fast asleep), but I know some that are not.
7) Do Dachshunds shed a lot?
They do lose lots of little hairs, but its not the same as long haired or fluffy dogs.
8) Are Dachshunds good family pets?
They have proven to be in my family, but if they are to be good around children, it is always advisable to get a puppy when the children are small, as it can be tricky to introduce them to small children at a later stage.
9) What advice would you give to someone thinking about getting a Doxie?
Research the breed thoroughly to see if they fit in with your lifestyle and definitely take out insurance. Due to their long backs a large portion of them are affected by IVDD which is a costly disease to overcome. Be aware they can be a nightmare to house train and hate going out in the rain!
10) Is it better to get multiple Dachshunds rather than one?
If so, what are the benefits? I have always had at least two so would recommend it, but I know plenty people with only one who are quite happy.
11) What are the comments you get from strangers when they see your little pack?
Are they all yours? How do you walk all three on your own? Is the little one (Peanut) a puppy?
12) Do you enjoy running your Instagram page for Maya and her crew?
I do, we have met so many amazing people through the account, some of which have become really close friends.
13) What advice and hacks would you offer to other dog owners on Instagram?
Try and be original and not copy other accounts. Make sure you reciprocate the likes and comments and build a relationship with your followers. They are more likely to be loyal followers.
14) Are there any drawbacks to have social media for your dogs?
The only draw back is the amount of time needed to take photos. Most people think it is just a case of taking a quick snap and posting but it is a little more time consuming. As with anything though, effort = results.
15) What other Dachshund accounts would you recommend to our readers?
As I don’t follow “popular” accounts just for the sake of it, I would recommend our friends @abh69 @darwinsday @wethreedoxies1 @ingevink Not your typical accounts!
Dachshund Pros and Cons
• They make the perfect lap dog and companion. Once you’ve had one you will find it hard to have another breed.
• They have such character and are super intelligent.
• They are very loyal.
• The biggest con is that 1 in 3 will suffer from IVDD. Besides for being heartbreaking this can be extremely costly even if you have insurance.
• They can have selective hearing, as scent dogs, it can be difficult to recall them once they have picked up on a scent.
• They are notoriously not great at being house trained, and the UK weather doesn’t help. The best advice would be to teach them to use puppy pads indoors so you don’t end up with ruined flooring.