Are you looking for a new cat food brand to keep your fussy feline motivated mealtime?
We all know that cats can be fussy pets and it can be tricky to find cat food that they’ll consistently eat.
Perhaps you’re feeding traditional cat food to your cat but you’re eager to adopt a fresh approach to your pet’s diet.
In this article, we’re going to be taking a look at Untamed cat food.
They’re a cat food brand who are trying to offer pet owner’s a healthy alternative that’s balanced and complete.
We’ll take a look at how Untamed works, what recipes they’ve got on offer and give our verdict on their cat food thanks to our reviewers Jess, Joe and Mo.
So with the introduction out of the way, let’s start by delving into Untamed and what they stand for.
Jump To Section
Who Are Untamed?
Like a lot of pet food companies who are pushing a fresh approach to pet nutrition, Untamed was started out of necessity.
Founder Ben was left with no other option but to launch Untamed after his cat Sian fell ill and his regular store-bought, big brand food wasn’t helping.
On the advice of a friend who was a pet nutritionist, Ben decided to feed Sian human-grade, whole meat diet. Sian made a fully recovery!
In fact, Sian was healthier than ever so Ben set about starting Untamed to give other cat owners the chance to adopt a human-grade diet for their feline friend.
Joined by his friends Lenny and Marco, they started out in their kitchen making their simple but healthy recipes before the business expanded.
Now, they’re feeding cats around the UK with their high-quality recipes, using meats such as tuna steak, salmon and mackerel fillet, chicken breast and chicken liver.
How Does Untamed Work?
Untamed is packed with the freshest, human-grade meats, gently steam-cooked to lock in the nutrients and flavour.
You can have peace of mind knowing that Untamed don’t use any additives, flavorings, animal derivatives, vegetable proteins, sugars or grains.
Their recipes are vet formulated and cooked at low temperatures to ensure the human-grade ingredients retain all their nutritional goodness and maximum flavour.
Untamed will ask cat owners to fill out their sign-up questionnaire in order to allow this cat food company offer a personalized plan for your feline friend.
Once you’ve completed the sign up process, Untamed will ship your cat’s food direct to your door. This allows you to tick off cat food on your to-do-list.
If you’re unsure, you can also start with an Untamed trial pack to get familiar with their human-grade cat food before signing up to a subscription plan.
What Recipes Do They Offer?
So you like the sound of Untamed but you want to know what recipes they’ve got on offer for British cats. We should add that the chicken used in their recipes are cruelty, hormone and grain free. The fish are cruelty free, dolphin safe and grain free as well as being sustainably fished.
Let’s start with their gravy recipes.
• Chocka Chicken in Gravy – Chicken breast 58%, Chicken broth 33%, Chicken liver 5%, Sunflower oil, Tapioca 1%, Vitamins and Minerals.
• Chocka Chicken with Ham in Gravy – Chicken breast 58%, Chicken broth 33%, Ham 5%, Sunflower oil, Tapioca 1%, Vitamins & Minerals.
• Full-on Fishy in Gravy – Tuna whole meat 45%, Fish broth 33%, Sardine 13%, Mackerel 5%, Tapioca 1%, Sunflower oil, Vitamins & Minerals.
• Tuck-in Tuna in Gravy – Tuna whole meat 63%, Fish broth 33%, Tapioca 1%, Sunflower oil, Vitamins & Minerals.
• Tuck-in Tuna with Shrimp in Gravy – Tuna whole meat 58%, Fish broth 33%, Shrimp 5%, Tapioca 1%, Sunflower oil, Vitamins & Minerals.
Ok, now we’ll take a look at the jelly recipes on offer.
• Chocka Chicken in Jelly – Chicken breast 60%, Chicken broth 37%, Tapioca 1%.
• Chocka Chicken with Duck in Jelly – Chicken breast 55%, Chicken broth 37%, Duck 5%, Tapioca 1%.
• Tuck-in Tuna in Jelly – Tuna whole meat 60%, Fish broth 37%, Tapioca 1%.
• Tuck-in Tuna with Salmon in Jelly – Tuna whole meat 55%, Fish broth 37%, Salmon 5%, Tapioca 1%.
• Tuck-in Tuna with Shrimp in Jelly – Tuna whole meat 55%, Fish broth 37%, Shrimp 5%, Tapioca 1%.
Where To Order?
At the time of writing, you can only order Untamed directly through the official website. You can start your sign-up process by clicking here.
If you want to get started with their trial pack, it costs as little as £8. The photos in this article are from the trial pack that we purchased for our taste tester Mo.
• Delivery – The delivery was super quick after we placed the order. There were no ice packs needed as tinned.
• Packaging – The packaging was all recyclable and aesthetic. The tins are great size, small, easily stackable, and the pull ring means they’re super easy to open. Also easier than sachets to put back in the fridge if you cat isn’t having a full portion.
• Food – We think this has been Mo’s favourite food so far. We also think the portion size for him is better – much smaller than Katkins, so a lot less waste. The food looked meaty and appetising. Although it still has some jelly, the jelly is well coated throughout encouraging him to eat more, not just lick the jelly off. There were three flavours in our box – and his favourite was the chicken. It would be great if on the subscription you can choose which flavours you have. (He isn’t the biggest fan of duck.)
• Overall – I would say this is a good hybrid between natural and more processed tin food so the transition was easier for him.
What Other Customers Are Saying About Untamed?
Untamed have an average score of 4.8 out of 5 based upon over 900 reviews.
Abby gave a glowing five-star review of Untamed.
I have been receiving Untamed for a year now after unsuccessfully trialling a few brands for a fussy cat! Untamed is the only food she will literally lick the bowl clean for and then demand more. You can tell the quality of the product the second you open the tin- shredded pieces of chicken, whole shrimps, flaky tuna etc. I’ve recently got another cat, a kitten, who loves Untamed too, it’s so worth the money and lack of hassle plus I know my cats are eating healthy food they enjoy!
Adeline has a Ragdoll cat like Mo – and her Ragdoll also loves Untamed.
I have a very fussy young Ragdoll who will only eat wet food. I have wasted so much money on other brands & which gets thrown out so decided to give Untamed a try. Well, I can’t get it out the tin fast enough for him. It may be a bit more expensive but absolutely no waste & a very happy Sox now.
This cat owner described Untamed as the best cat food she’s encountered in 30 years.
What a fantastic product! My cat is so sensitive and fussy, everything so far has made her sick ! Except Untamed!! Just £8 for our first taster box, she loves all the flavours and literally comes running when she hears the tin open! Simply the best cat food I’ve ever found and I’ve had cats for 30 years!
Anything Else To Consider?
If you’ve got a fussy cat or a feline with a sensitive tummy, it may be a good idea to speak to your vet before you decide to make a change to their diet.
They can offer guidance on whether it’s a good idea to make a switch and offer advice on how to successfully transition to Untamed.
Having said that, Untamed offer a leaflet that comes with your first box on how to transition and you can also find more information on their website.
They’ve also got a good customer service to offer additional advice and help if required.
Wrapping Up – Our Final Thoughts
We’ve reached the end of our review of Untamed.
Here at helloBARK!, we love what Untamed stand for – human-grade meals made from whole meat. They’ve got a good range of gravy and jelly recipes.
We also like that they’ve got a sustainable approach to sourcing ingredients so you can feel good about what you cat is eating.
Our taste tester Mo loved Untamed and his owners Jess and Joe rated it as the best he’s tried so far!