If you’ve got a picky dog, you’ll know how tough it can be to find food that they’ll show an interest in.
Most dogs will wolf down their meals without a second thought at dinner time but some breeds are known to be picky eaters.
Siberian Huskies, for example, are notorious for being quite selective about what they eat. One of my Alaskan Klee Kai will often show disinterest in her bowl if she doesn’t fancy it’s contents.
However, dog food delivery companies can deliver fresh dog meals right to your doorstep to reignite your canine’s appetite.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as veterinary, medical or professional advice. The content of our articles does not constitute veterinary advice. It’s always best to speak with your vet or a certified pet nutritionist before making any changes to your pet's diet or feeding routine.
In this article, we’re going to take a close look at Nom Nom and Grocery Pup, who are two dog food delivery companies with growing reputations within the industry in the USA.
Given the variety of recipes, different packaging and costs, you may find the experience of trying to settle on the right dog grub overwhelming.
We’re going to give you all the key details about Nom Nom and Grocery Pup, while taking a look at whether either make it onto our list of the best dog food delivery companies around right now.
Jump To Section
Nom Nom – The Basics
Nom Nom are a California company based in Oakland that provide freshly cooked dog meals direct to your doorstep, taking away the hassle of producing home cooked meals for you pup when you have a busy work schedule.
Their website explains that they want selecting their Nom Nom meals to be the best decision you’ve made since you brought home your beloved four-legged companion.
Their website emphasises that Nom Nom use restaurant-quality ingredients to create their veterinarian formulated meals. In doing so, they promise online that they’ll be taking care to ensure your canine gets all the necessary nutrients and vitamins.
Their meals are made-to-order and truly pre-portioned, which means each individual dog will get the right amount of grub for their age, activity levels or health needs.
Nom Nom’s ordering process is simple>: you create a profile for your pet, which includes age, size, weight, activity level and any special requirements.
Once you receive your fresh, individually proportioned meals, Nom Nom are confident you’ll spot the difference a fresh diet can make to your pup’s life.
The California company have created four delicious fresh dog food recipes that their website explains will exceed AAFCO standards, using real, whole food ingredients and are expertly portioned.
Their recipes are Heartland Beef Mash, Tasty Turkey Fare, Chicken Chow-Wow and Porkalicious Potluck. You can also try their variety pack!
Nom Nom’s meals arrive in a resilient cardboard box with plenty of insulation and ice to keep the meals fresh.
Each meal is stored in an easy-to-use rip-and-serve food packets so you won’t have to worry about working out the right portion for your dog. They’ve already taken care of that potential headache for you so put the scales away!
Grocery Pup – The Basics
Grocery Pup are a dog food delivery company that are committed to creating better quality food for our precious pups. They plan to fulfill this promise by devising delicious recipes, ensuring convenient delivery to the dog bowl and ensuring that the meals are healthy.
Their website lists their three core values: transparency, higher standards and convenience.
Grocery Pup use non-GMO veggies and USDA meats, place them into BPA-free vacuum sealed bags and sous-vide cook them for two hours until the food reaches 160 F. Their website explains that this is just enough to kill pathogens but retain natural nutrients and enriching the flavors.
They use bags to hold up to one pound of their sous-vide patties to ensure you can conveniently store your dog food in the freezer without taking up too much room. You can take one bag out at a time to defrost.
You’ll need no more than 30 minutes to defrost the patty in water before your dog’s regular meal time. So you won’t need to set reminders 24 hours ahead of time to start the defrosting process.
To order Grocery Pup, you’ll need to input some key details about your dog into their website, select which plan you’d like to try: full plan or half plan. This can help with the transition process.
They offer three different sous-vide recipes: Texas Beef Stew, Turkey Pawella and Porks’s Luau. You can also try their sampler pack to see which recipe your dog prefers.
Things To Consider When Picking Dog Food Delivery
When you’re trying to decide what dog food delivery company you believe is best suited to your pup’s needs, there are a number of key things to consider.
• Ingredients – If you’ve decided that you want to stay away from overly processed dog food, you’ll want to be sure that a dog food delivery company is using the healthiest and freshest ingredients possible. It’s vital that the right ingredients are included to ensure your dog gets a complete and balanced diet. Both Nom Nom and Grocery Pup use healthy ingredients.
• Recipe Variety – Any dog owner with a picky pup will attest to the fear and frustration when your canine turns up their nose at what’s in the dog bowl. Even if you decide dog food delivery is the right choice for you, you’ll still want to have a variety of recipes to keep even the pickiest of dogs motivated at dinner time. Nom Nom offer four recipes, while Grocery Pup have three different meals to choose from.
• Expert Input – Although dog owners think they know best for their dog, it’s no harm to get some input from some experts. We find it reassuring when dog food delivery companies have one or more veterinary nutritionists who have contributed to the creation of their meals. Nom Nom’s meals are formulated by Dr Justin Shmalberg, who they describe as a “leader in veterinary nutrition”. Grocery Pup choose to leave their veterinarian nutritionist unnamed on their website (as far as we could tell).
• Packaging And Preparation – It’s not much use signing up to a dog food delivery plan if you’ve still got to mess around with scales or lots of utensils at meal time. Therefore, we value simple packaging and straightforward preparation to make the process of feeding your dog efficient and stress-free. Nom Nom use rip-and-serve packets for each meal, while Grocery Pup provide bags that can be stored in the freezer and defrosted 30 minutes before meal time. Grocery Pup requires pet parents to follow their feeding guidelines which is based upon your dog’s weight.
• Ordering Experience – The process of ordering your dog’s meals needs to be simple but effective. You don’t want an overly complicated method that may act as a deterrent for pet parents who aren’t tech savvy. Alternatively, you’ll want to input enough details that the meals are tailored to your dog’s needs. In our experience, Nom Nom require more details than Grocery Pup, which may suggest a more customised plan.
• Price – If you’ve decided to order some freshly cooked dog meals for your pup, you’ll probably have made your peace with the fact that these recipes don’t come cheap. Dog food delivery companies provide a premium service so you should expect to pay a premium price. However, the price should still be fair. This is the case with both Nom Nom and Grocery Pup.
• Delivery Schedule – For dog owners with a hectic work schedule, or pet parents who are on the road a lot, you’ll want to have lots of flexibility when it comes to meals being delivered to your home given the significant investment in the dog food. Both companies get great reviews for their delivery service from current customers.
Nom Nom vs Grocery Pup – Our Recommendation
So, which should you go for, Nom Nom or Grocery Pup?
Both companies do a good job on delivering freshly cooked, nutritious dog meals to the doorsteps of pet parents throughout the USA.
However, we feel Nom Nom has a slight edge on Grocery Pup.
Nom Nom offer a great variety of recipes to dog owners, which is important to keep picky dogs happy. We like that their meals arrive in individual rip-and-serve packets, so there’s no confusion about portion size.
What Are Customers Saying About Nom Nom And Grocery Pup?
Nom Nom has a five-star rating on independent website Trustpilot based upon 750 reviews.
One Nom Nom customer called Janet revealed how her pet’s life has been transformed since switching to NNN’s meals.
My sweet Gabbie has been on this food for almost 3 months. Best decision I have ever made. She isn’t snappy anymore. She has slimmed down in a healthy way. She enjoys her food now. Eats at the same time everyday. She is more healthy. Not licking her feet. Not getting little bumps under her chin. She is loving the healthy live she is living.
Another Nom Nom customer explained how her Miniature Schnauzer’s life has benefited from NNN’s recipes:
My 9 year old miniature schnauzer loves this food. He no longer lets his food linger in the bowl all day and actually licks the bowl clean. He’s regained his energy and playfulness. I’m very happy we made the switch from kibble.
Grocery Pup’s website has 68 reviews that gives the company a five-sar rating. To their credit, they’ve left the occasional poor review on their website. But we struggled to find customer reviews of Grocery Pup’s meals elsewhere online.
One customer left a review on their website praising their efficient delivery:
Our pooch LOVES Grocery Pup!! She was a finicky eater, we tried everything and had no success until we discovered GP. Great product, we get our shipment on time and as promised. We cannot thank you enough!
Another Grocery Pup customer left a suggestion for the company in their four-star review:
My dog loved the food! Only thing I wish was different was the packaging, something easier to open & resealable would be great.
Nom Nom And Grocery Pup discounts
We did thorough research to see if we could find any discounts or coupon codes for helloBARK! readers.
While we were unable to find any offers for Grocery Pup, we do have a tasty discount for Nom Nom.
If you’d like to give Nom Nom a try, you can get a 50% discount off your first order by clicking this link.
Once you’ve placed your first Nom Nom order, the 50% discount should be automatically applied at the checkout.
Anything Else To Consider?
We like that Nom Nom’s mission began because dog owner Alex needed a diet that was easy to ingest for her Australian Shepherd Harlee. In a bid to ensure other pet parents don’t have to go through the same uncertainty and fear that Alex experienced, Nom Nom was born.
Similarly, Ruth and Javier Marriott started Grocery Pup following their quest to find the best quality dog food for their pup Lola. Frustrated with the confusing labels and misleading packaging, they decided to start Grocery Pup to take matters into their hands (or paws in Lola’s case).
Wrapping Things Up – Final Thoughts
So we’ve reached the end of our Nom Nom and Grocery Pup comparison.
Overall, both Nom Nom and Grocery Pup are solid options for pet parents who want to move away from kibble and feed their dogs healthy meals.
We like that both companies provide more than one recipe, they’ve got great values and provide an efficient delivery service.
But you’re not going too far wrong by selecting either Nom Nom or Grocery Pup.