Are you going crazy with dog hair everywhere but a vacuum that can’t handle the fluff?
Living with two mini huskies, it feels like I spent a lot of time hovering dog hair on the floor, stuck in the carpet and all over the furniture.
However, I’ve found a lot of vacuums can’t cope with the sheer amount of dog hair my Klee Kai shed, especially where carpets, rugs and furniture is concerned.
I’ve tried robotic vacuums but they also struggle to collect all the hair in the corners of the home or entangled in the carpet.
So when I was given the chance to try the Dyson Detect v12 Slim with detangling technology plus their pet grooming kit, I didn’t hesitate to give it a review.
In this article, I’m going to reveal how I got on with the Dyson Detect v12 Slim vacuum and pet grooming kit, highlighting some of the features that make it a great option for pet parents and take a look at what other pet owners have to say.
Jump To Section
Dyson Detect v12 Slim – The Basics
Dyson’s website describes the Detect v12 Slim as their most powerful compact cordless vacuum yet.
It comes with an illuminated cleaner head to reveal hidden dust in your home, which is extremely useful if you’re a dog owner and you canine companion has light-coloured hair.
The angled beam makes it easy to see dirt, dust and pet hair on your floor so you don’t miss a spot when you’re vacuuming your home.
The 25cm-wide cleaner head engineered with soft nylon and anti-static carbon fibre filaments to remove dust from hard floors and narrower gaps. It has a low profile to reach further under furniture.
The v12 slim has a piezo sensor that continuously sizes and counts dust particles – automatically increasing suction power when needed.
The motorized head offer edge-to-edge deep cleaning with detangling technology that is perfect for carpets and rugs where your dogs deposit a lot of hair.
The nylon bristles drive dirt from carpet and black anti-static carbon fibre filaments extract dust from hard floors.
The Dyson device has a LCD screen that displays what’s been sucked up in real time.
Dyson Detect v12 Slim Vacuum has some impressive technology to help pet owners keep their home as dog hair free as possible! Let’s take a look at some of the v12’s highlights:
• Dyson illumination – An illuminated cleaner head reveals dust particles invisible to the eye, with a precisely-angled green beam integrated into a Fluffy cleaner head – so you don’t miss a thing.
• A piezo sensor – A piezo sensor continuously sizes and counts dust particles – automatically increasing suction power when needed.
• Acoustic Dust Sensing – The LCD screen shows the size and number of particles, displaying real-time scientific proof of a deep clean by counting and measuring microscopic dust particles with a piezo sensor, which automatically increases suction power across different floors types and dust amounts1.
• New anti-tangle hair screw clears hair fast – Anti-tangle conical brush bar spirals hair off and into the bin. Motor-driven cleaning for small spaces.
• Dyson Hyperdymium motor – Powerful, lightweight digital motor spins up to 125,000rpm to suck up microscopic dust and large debris.
• Root Cyclone technology – 11 root cyclones generate centrifugal forces of up to 100,000g to capture dust and debris from the airflow, so there’s no loss of suction.
• Energy-dense battery – Each Click-in battery provides up to 60 minutes of fade-free power to clean here, there and everywhere around your home.
Ease Of Use
The Dyson Detect v12 is really easy to use and is extremely lightweight so it’s suitable for every pet owner.
You can use the the illuminated cleaner on hardwood floors and tiles and switch to the motorized head for carpets and rugs.
This Dyson vacuum is extremely lightweight as it weighs in at just 2.2 grams. Therefore, it’s easy to negotiate your home and all the crevices with your Dyson in hand.
It has a 5 minute run time on powerful mode but has the ability to keep going for up to 60 minutes depending on the setting.
The 0.35L bin is easy to empty so it’s minimal fuss when it’s times to discard the contents into the trashcan and get back to hoovering.
The Dyson Detect v12 comes with a docking station so you store this lightweight vacuum out of sight and out of mind when you’re done.
Dyson Detect v12 Pros And Cons
• Dyson’s most powerful, lightweight cordless vacuum
• Illuminated cleaner head
• Motorbar cleaner head
• Piezo sensor automatically increases suction power
• LCD screen shows realtime proof of clean
• Weighs just 2.2g
• Battery life on boost mode
• Slightly smaller bin than other Dyson models
• Premium price for a premium product
• Pet grooming kit costs extra
The Dyson Detect v12 is comfortably the best vacuum I’ve reviewed when it comes to coping with the copious amount of hair that my Alaskan Klee Kai shed.
The illuminated cleaner head cleaner was incredibly efficient at highlighting dog hairs on the floor so I never missed a spot (something which happened with other brands).
I found it extremely easy to maneuver around my home – whether I had to vacuum under the dining table, under the sofa or under the TV console.
The illuminated cleaner head cleaner collected an outstanding amount of dirt and dog hair to leave my hardwood floors feeling much cleaner.
The Dyson’s motorised head was simply incredible when it came to cleaning my carpeted rooms. The bin was full of dog hair after just a brief clean of one area of the living room.
With other brands, I always felt like my carpet weren’t really clean despite a lengthy vacuuming session as they struggled to get the deep-rooted dog hairs out of the carpet.
I had no such problem with the Dyson Detect v12 as the detangling technology managed to suck up all the hair woven into the carpet fibers.
Anything Else To Consider?
As we mentioned above, the pet grooming kit is not included as part of the £529.99 purchase price.
It’s an add on that is compatible with most Dyson vacuums so you can use it with an older model if you’re planning to have more than one Dyson vacuums for different areas of your home.
The pet grooming kit is compatible with Dyson V15 Detect vacuums, Dyson V12 Detect Slim, vacuums, Dyson Outsize, vacuums, Dyson V11 vacuums, Dyson Cyclone V10, vacuums, Dyson V8 vacuums and Dyson V7 vacuums.
Dyson’s pet groom tool is similar to a slicker brush that you may already be using on your medium-to-long haired pup.
It has 364 slicker bristles angled at 35° flex to an upright position as you brush, penetrating deep to grab loose hairs.
The pet grooming kit has an extendable hose to allow for a more comfortable grooming experience for your dog (and you).
As we touched upon above, the Dyson pet grooming kit is priced at £65 on their website.
Wrapping Up – Our Final Thoughts
We’ve reached the end of our review of the Dyson Detect v12 vacuum.
It’s an excellent choice for dog owners looking for a vacuum capable of handling shedding season or hair from a dog that sheds all year long.
The Detect v12 vacuum is extremely lightweight so it isn’t difficult to carry around your home as you go from room to room.
The illuminated head cleaner is excellent at cleaning hardwood floors with the laser beam highlighting hair on the floor.
If you’ve got a carpet or rug that collects a lot of dog hair, the motorbar head cleaner is efficient at removing stubborn dog hairs.
Having tried a number of different vacuums in the five years since getting my mini huskies, the Dyson Detect v12 vacuum is the most efficient and effective vacuum at cleaning my home.