It can be a confusing and overwhelming experience trying to figure out which dry food is right for your dog.
There’s no shortage of commercial kibble that you can find in your local supermarket or pet store.
You’ll know some of the big-name brands but have you considered what goes into their food?
A lot of these commercial brands use highly-processed powdered meat meals and artificial additives.
There are suggestions that such ingredients can lead to health problems for your dog in the long term.
However, there are some dog food companies that are creating customised kibble using natural ingredients to provide pet parents with a fresh and healthy alternative.
In this article, we’re going to examine some of the best options available at the moment, taking a look at UnKibble by Spot & Tango, Just Right by Purina and Puppo.
Jump To Section
Current Top Rated Dry Food 2020
|Crafted Kibble||★★★★★||• Pre portioned • 100% fresh • Value for money||Buy Now|
|UnKibble by Spot & Tango||★★★★★||• 14 ingredients • Sustainable • Human grade||Buy Now|
|Just Right by Purina||★★★★☆||• Tailored • Experience • Recipes||Buy Now|
|Puppo||★★★★☆||• Vet formulated • Home delivery • Human grade||Buy Now|
How We Choose The Best Dry Food For Dogs
• Ordering experience
• Delivery schedule
Best Dry Food For Dogs 2020
1) Crafted Kibble
Crafted Kibble want to enrich the unconditional bond between families and their pets.
They hope to do this by helping them understand and provide for their pet’s unique nutritional needs through innovation, simplicity and convenience.
Crafted Kibble believe that dogs will thrive when maintaining a health diet that caters to their nutritional needs.
By entering key details about your dog, Crafted Kibble can create a meal plan based on your pooch’s specific dietary needs and preferences.
Once mixed and packaged in their facility, your custom-tailored dog food is conveniently delivered right to your door to ensure your pet receives a fresh batch each time.
• Dog Food Reimagined – Unlike buying a bag of dry food at the supermarket, Crafted Kibble is tailored to your pup’s unique dietary requirements so they can enjoy a balanced and complete diet full of goodness.
• Proper Portions – You won’t have to fuss with scales. Crafted Kibble have a unique approach to kibble by using pre-portioned pouches. It couldn’t be easier to feed your dog!
• Always Fresh – They only cook their kibble in small batches to ensure maximum freshness and taste for your furry four-legged fiend.
• Highest Quality – Not only that but Crafted Kibble’s website explains that the small batch kibble is made in a plant with rigorous safety standards right here in the USA!
• No Commitment – Worried you’ll be tied into a long-term deal? Crafted Kibble have a flexible plan. You can pause, skip or cancel your subscription at any time.
• Made In The USA – Crafted Kibble only use all-natural, USA-sourced ingredients in their dog food to ensure your pet receives the freshest kibble every time.
Crafted Kibble offer a range of different recipes.
Chef’s Chicken & Pea Grain-Free – Chicken, chicken meal, peas, pea starch, pea flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), flax seeds, alfalfa meal, natural turkey and chicken flavors, salmon meal (a source of fish oil), sunflower oil, driedbrewers yeast, dried tomato pomace, dried egg product, salt, potassium chloride, minerals (head to website to see full list of minerals and vitamins).
Tender Turkey & Lentils Light Grain-Free – Turkey, red lentils, pea fiber, whitefish meal, menhaden fish meal, natural turkey flavor, beet pulp-dried, pea starch, green lentils, garbanzo beans, turkey meal, sunflower oil, potassium chloride, dried tomato pomace, dried brewers yeast, salt, flax seed (head to website to see full list of minerals and vitamins).
Lavish Lamb & Pea Grain-Free – Lamb meal, peas, garbanzo beans, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), salmon meal (a source of fish oil), pea starch, alfalfa meal, natural turkey and chicken flavor, dried tomato pomace, dried egg product, flax seed, sunflower oil, potassium chloride, dried brewers yeast, salt (head to website to see full list of minerals and vitamins).
Savory Salmon & Peas Grain-Free – Salmon, menhaden fish meal, peas, pea flour, pea starch, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), alfalfa meal, natural turkey and chicken flavor, flax seeds, dried tomato pomace, sunflower oil (head to website to see full list of minerals and vitamins).
Packaging and Preparation
Your Crafted Kibble box will contain a month’s supply of pre-portioned pouches. While a lot of dog food delivery companies do this with their home-cooked meals, Crafted Kibble are the only dry dog food company that we’ve seen do this.
We love that Crafted Kibble have removed the hassle of using a scooper or a cup. You won’t need guidelines to follow. You simply open the pouch and serve direct into the bowl.
Price and Delivery
Crafted Kibble will cost a little more than store-bought dry food but you’re paying for quality ingredients. Their food is lovingly made with your dog’s best interests at heart with long-term health benefits.
To feed my Alaskan Klee Kai who weighs 10 pounds, it would cost just $6.64 a week. Their pricing depends on factors such as breed, size, life stage, and special needs.
Crafted Kibble deliver nationwide and you can pause or stop your deliveries at any time.
You can get 50 per cent off you first order by clicking here.
What Are People Saying About It?
Crafted Kibble get 4.5 stars out of 5 on independent review website, Trustpilot. This rating is based upon over 30 reviews.
One customer with three fussy eaters gave a glowing five-star review of Crafted Kibble:
While researching the best kibble for dogs, I discovered Crafted Kibble. Currently we have 2 seniors and one younger guy, and they’re ALL very particular when it comes to eating. I was cautiously optimistic after reading the reviews. When it arrived, I was extremely pleased with the packaging, and loved the way they portion-control the meals. The best part, though, was that ALL THREE of our pups love the food! Miracles do happen…great company, great product, and great customer service!
Samantha described Crafted Kibble as life changing for her and her dog:
I joined the Crafted Kibble family a month ago and my life changed. The quality of the food is amazing and it is tailored to my dogs needs. He loves his new food and never leaves a kibble on his plate. The recurring shipping is the best option because I don’t have to think about it, it arrives at my door. Amazing!!! Definitely recommended
Tayla underlined the convenience of having the meals delivered to your door in her review.
No other food compares to the quality of Crafted Kibble. The ease of having it delivered to the house every month is also a great plus! We are very happy customers.
The only negative we can find with Crafted Kibble is that it’ll set you back a little bit more than commercial brands each month. However, we believe it’s worth the investment given the quality of the ingredients used. Hopefully you’ll see long-term benefits that make the price worth it.
Crafted Kibble are an excellent choice within the dry food for dogs market.
We love that Crafted Kibble customise their meals to meet your canine’s requirements, using only the very best ingredients.
They use pre-portioned packaging so you won’t have to worry about portion control. Crafted Kibble have made feeding your dog simple and straightforward.
Crafted Kibble are competitively priced within the dry food market but not at the expense of the quality of their kibble.
For more information and to buy now: craftedkibble.com
2) UnKibble by Spot & Tango
Spot & Tango is one of the leaders in the dog food market when it comes to dry food thanks to their UnKibble range.
They use 100% human-grade ingredients in the production of their dry food, UnKibble, to ensure that your pooch is getting the very best in dog nutrition.
Founded in 2018 with a focus on fresh food, Spot & Tango make nutritious, healthy and sustainable dog food accessible to all.
They produce customised meal plans for your four-legged friend based upon the information that you provide through their simple questionnaire, which includes questions about age, weight, breed, and lifestyle.
Spot & Tango have a commitment to sustainability so you can improve your dog’s diet but not at the expense of the planet.
• The Fresh Dry Process – To develop UnKibble, Spot & Tango’s vet team spent more than a year conducting extensive feeding tests, comparing formulations and designing new ways to make dry dog food. Their Fresh Dry process creates a minimally processed, shelf-stable food with only human-grade ingredients and no artificial additives or fillers.
• 100% Human-Grade, Whole Foods – Spot & Tango only use real food in our products. Every UnKibble recipe is made with 14 simple ingredients and nothing artificial. That means: no powdered “meat meals”, no artificial additives or preservatives and no soy, gluten or wheat.
• Ingredient Transparency – One of the benefits of going with Spot & Tango is that there’s complete transparency about what goes into their food. There’s no hidden additives or nasties. They print the ingredient lists on the front of the package, so you know exactly what’s in your dog’s bowl.
• Personalization – Every Spot & Tango plan is customized to each dog’s unique profile (age, weight, breed, activity level, and dietary needs). Your canine’s fresh meals are delivered in pre-portioned packs. The UnKibble trials are delivered with a personalized reusable scoop, to get the perfect portion every time.
• Direct To Consumer – Spot & Tango sell UnKibble directly to their customers, there’s no middle man such as a supermarket or pet store. They’ve ditched the retail markups and cookie cutter bag sizes. Customers get a meal plan tailored to their dog, at a price they could never find at the pet store.
• Happy Pup Guarantee – If you decide to give Spot & Tango a try, you can be reassured that you can avail of a full refund if your dog doesn’t like their UnKibble. However, based upon our experience, we find this highly unlikely to occur given our dogs loved their food.
Spot & Tango have three recipes to offer pet parents who are interested in giving their UnKibble range a try. We love that Spot & Tango use 14 simple ingredients in their recipes and nothing artificial.
Beef & Barley – Beef, Barley, Flax, Carrot, Green Beans, Beef Liver, Beef Heart, Beets, Cranberries, Rosemary, Kelp, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (natural vitamin E), Vitamins & Minerals.
Chicken & Brown Rice – Chicken, Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Carrots, Apples, Kale, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzards, Sunflower Seeds, Ginger Root, Kelp, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (natural vitamin E), Vitamins & Minerals.
Duck & Salmon – Duck, Salmon, Flax, Tapioca, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Spinach, Apples, Chia Seeds, Parsley, Kelp, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (natural vitamin E), Vitamins & Minerals.
Packaging and Preparation
Spot & Tango’s UnKibble comes in easy-on-the-eye packaging with a customised scooper to ensure pet parents will be able to feed their canine companions the correct portion size.
Preparation is easy. It’s as simple as using the customised scooper to pour UnKibble directly into your dog’s bowl. There couldn’t be an easier or healthier way to feed your pup.
Price and Delivery
UnKibble will cost a little more than some big-name dry food brands that you’ll be familiar with at your local supermarket or pet store. However, Spot & Tango’s dry food uses 14 natural ingredients and is free from any nasties. So it’s worth the extra cost.
To feed my 10 pound Alaskan Klee Kai would cost me $15 a week.
You won’t have to worry about popping to the shops to pick up dog food as Spot & Tango will deliver UnKibble direct to your door. It couldn’t be easier! Spot & Tango will ship your dog’s food every 28 days so you’ll never run out.
You can get 20% off your first order by clicking here.
What Are People Saying About It?
UnKibble gets five-star reviews online, which is an encouraging sign. We’ve taken a look at some customer testimonials to see what people are saying about the food.
Sherry was thrilled with George’s weight loss thanks to UnKibble.
George has struggled with his weight for years. We started feeding him Spot & Tango, and he lost 10lbs in a month. We’re customers for life!
Nathalie explained that her dog Wiley has a happy and healthy tummy since switching to UnKibble:
The food smells amazing, and I love seeing fresh fruits and veggies in Wiley’s bowl. She’s got a shiny coat and a happy tummy, and that makes us happy!
Picky eaters Mark and Bella love UnKibble, which is a great sign for pet owners with fussy pups like these Maltese dogs:
My dogs (who are very picky) went crazy for this food, and the customer service is second to none. Awesome company selling a great product.
The only negative we could find is the slight increase in price when compared to traditional dry food options that you’ll find at the supermarket. However, we believe it’s worth paying a little extra for UnKibble given they’re using healthy ingredients that are cooked fresh and ready to serve. I saw the benefits of feeding my dogs UnKibble with better energy levels, happy tummies and shinier coats.
We rate UnKibble as the best dry food for dogs currently on the market.
Spot & Tango have three tasty recipes to ensure there’s options for even the fussiest eaters.
They only use 14 ingredients in their meals. Spot & Tango use 100 per cent human-grade, whole foods so you can have peace of mind knowing that your dog is getting vet-formulated meals.
Spot & Tango was grown out of one family’s commitment to their dog’s health and wellness as well as having an environmentally friendly approach to pet nutrition.
For more information and to buy now: spotandtango.com
3) Just Right by Purina
Most pet owners will know about to pet food brand, Purina. However, you may or may not know about their personalized dry food called Just Right.
Just Right uses 100 per cent natural ingredients that are full of vitamins and minerals, keeping their recipes “pure and simple”.
In fact, you can visit their website where they’ve laid out each ingredient that goes into their meals to give you a clear picture of how Just Right works.
Like UnKibble by Spot & Tango, Purina ask for key details about your dog, ranging from activity level to weight, to ensure their Just Right meals are customised to meet your canine’s specific requirements.
Just Right has been formulated by a team of experts to ensure your four-legged friend can get the most out of their lives with you. The team ranges from nutritionists to vets, animal behaviorists to leading researchers.
• Natural, premium ingredients – Just Right doesn’t have any animal by-products or artificial colors. They use real chicken, salmon or lamb as the first ingredient. Their dry food is comprised of 100 per cent natural ingredients.
• Nutrition With Purpose – Just Right don’t include certain ingredients in your dog’s food just because they’re trendy. Instead, they craft their blends with natural dog food ingredients and nutrients, targeting the specific health benefits he needs most.
• Your Input Matters – Purina rely on your input to ensure they can customise Just Right to meet your dog’s needs. By using their “Create a Blend” process, they can understand what furry friend needs in their diet.
• Celebrating Your Unique Dog – Just Right look to celebrate your dog’s uniqueness by putting a personal touch into their food. Whether you’ve got a dog who needs to lose weight or gain a few pounds, they’ve got you covered.
• Honesty And Transparency – Unlike some traditional kibble options you’ll find at the supermarket, Purina are complete open about what goes into their food. It’s all natural but they explain in which ways certain ingredients can benefit your dog.
• Quality And Safety – Just Right by Purina hope to provide pet owners with peace of mind knowing that they’ve made safe, quality dog food.
Just Right by Purina offer three different recipes: salmon, lamb and chicken. When you select which protein source you’d like your dog to have, Purina provide a detailed insight into how the three key ingredients will benefit your dog.
For example, when I selected Salmon, Purina complimented it with barley and dried egg. They explained the barley will help to provide my four-legged friend with lasting energy, while the dried egg will keep my pup’s skin and coat healthy.
While their meals are comprised of more than just a protein source and two other ingredients, I appreciated how Just Right try to educate dog owners about what their dog is eating.
Each recipe includes an array of vitamin supplements. Unfortunately there’s no information provided about how each supplement or vitamin is contributing to my dog’s overall health.
Packaging and Preparation
Your Just Right bag will come displaying your dog’s photo, which is a nice personal touch. They provide custom feeding instructions to help pet parents with portion control.
In terms of serving your dog, it’s a simple process with minimal hassle or fuss, which is exactly what you want at the end of a long day with your own food to think about.
Price and Delivery
Just Right by Purina is a premium service so it will cost a little more than some traditional dry food brands. However, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your dog is getting the very best in pet nutrition.
Feeding my Alaskan Klee Kai Just Right by Purina would cost me $37.99 a month.
Your dog’s blend will be delivered directly to your doorstep, so you can permanently cross off dog food on your shopping list. You’ll receive a reorder email as soon as your dog’s foot starts to run low or you can select auto delivery.
What Are People Saying About It?
We were unable to find many reviews of Just Right by Purina on independent websites, although it does get 4.7 out of 5 based upon three reviews on Google. Purina have a review section full of glowing testimonials.
Dog owner Kristi highlighted the convenience of the deliveries:
Just Right is AMAZING!!! I love the convenience of having it shipped to my house, & I really, really love knowing exactly what he is eating.
Joseph revealed how his dog’s health has improved since making the switch.
His weight is good, his energy is up & he appears to be in great health. After a poor start to life, I want Silas to have the best, including the food he eats.
Linda explained that her dog Scratch is no longer picky thanks to Purina.
He picked right past the old brand & ate Just Right from the start! Guess he is just the right guy eating just the right food with a blindingly shiny coat.
While they use fresh ingredients in their recipes, some of the supplements are imported from abroad. Their website explains that they do source a limited amount from China primarily important vitamin and mineral supplements that are not commonly available from other countries in the quantities we need.
Just Right by Purina is a great option for pet parents looking to adopt a more fresh approach to their dog’s nutrition.
They’ve got three tasty recipes to ensure variety for picky eaters like my dogs.
Their “create a blend” questionnaire is extremely thorough, ensuring they get all the key information about your four-legged friend.
Having your dog’s food shipped direct to your door will also take away the hassle of going to your local store or pet shop.
For more information and to buy now: justrightpetfood.com
Puppo write on their website that they’re equal parts love and science.
They’ve worked hard to create dry food for dogs that is made with integrity. So you have peace of mind known that they use a quality process from farm to bowl.
Puppo take a lot of care when selecting what farmers, suppliers and production facilities to use. For instance, their food is cooked and prepared in their own facitilites.
Their no-hassle delivery and subscription service is just want pet owners need to free up some time in your busy lives to enjoy more precious moments with your dog.
• Power of nutrition – Puppo uses a framework established by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition that takes into account every aspect of your dog’s nutritional intake.
• Wholesome Recipes – They carefully select ingredients and supplements with the 40-plus essential macronutrients and micronutrients that dogs need. They use correct proportions to ensure your pup can absorb it all.
• Trusted Sources – Puppo emphasise that they’ve sourced the best ingredients from highly respectable suppliers and farmers to ensure your dog’s health is protected. Their website explains that they work with farmers in Australia and New Zealand for lamb, and source rice here in the US from Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and California.
• Dietary Needs – As your dog grows, their nutritional needs can change. Their daily calories requirements can alter. Puppo will take this into consideration.
• Perfect Portions – Puppo look to help pet owners manage weight, whether it’s maintaining or gaining pounds. You’ll be asked to play your part in this process by entering information such as size, age and acitivity level.
• No-hassle Delivery and Subscription – Deliveries are timed with your dog’s eating habits, so there’s no running out or having too much. You can also pause, skip or cancel anytime at no cost. 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Puppo offer a range of different recipes from beef, chicken, lamb, pork and fish. However, we were only able to see the ingredients label for the protein source recommended by their nutritionist.
Although I would have liked to have had access to see the ingredients in each of their recipes, Puppo provided detailed information about the lamb recipe they recommended for my Klee kaI.
They underline that real meat is always the first ingredient in their meals, with no animal by-product, meal or fillers. They’ve got no artificial colors or preservatives either.
Packaging and Preparation
Your Puppo delivery will come in a bag with your dog’s picture adorned in the top right. The feeding guide is clearly displayed on the front so there’s no excuses for getting the portions wrong.
If you’re new to Puppo, you’ll receive a Puppo 101 starter guide to help your pup have a smooth transition to their new plan.
Puppo provide a cup with clear guidelines on your canine’s daily serving size. So the process of feeding your dog should be easy and straightforward.
Price and Delivery
Puppo is competitively priced when compared to the other dry food companies that we’ve touched upon in this article.
I can expect to pay around $21 every three weeks to feed my Klee Kai with Puppo’s healthy meals.
Your deliveries will be sent to you directly so you won’t need to worry about heading to the supermarket.
They’re timed with your dog’s eating habits, so there’s no running out or having too much. You can also pause, skip or cancel anytime at no cost.
What Are People Saying About It?
We were unable to find many independent reviews of Puppo but their website does have a section detailing success stories.
Bonnie was delighted to see her dog’s increased energy after making the switch to Puppo:
Buster is eager for longer walks and gets excited when it’s time to go. He’s lost about 3 pounds so far. Bonnie says it’s a relief knowing exactly how much to feed, and she’s thrilled that Buster is jumping on the couch for snuggles again.
Amanda explained how Puppo helped her dog Boo’s coat:
Boo has no more itching around his feet and his hair is coming back beautifully. Boo is also eating his Puppo very well and no digestive issues. He’s even gained about 1 pound! Boo’s vet reports that his weight is looking perfect and that his coat is soft and shiny — no more dry skin.
Puppo provide a premium service so their food will cost a little more than traditional dry food options for dogs. However, the additional investment in your dog’s diet should have long-term and far-reaching benefits.
Puppo is a good option for dog parents who are looking to move away from well-known commercial dog food brands.
They offer nutrition, guidance and care to ensure your canine companion is living his/her best life.
Puppo offer a range of different recipes that are shipped to your door, so you’ll never have to worry about dashing the shop to pick up some last-minute dog food.
With a team of nutritionists and vets on hand, you can have confidence that your dog is getting a complete and balanced diet.
For more information and to buy now: puppo.com
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
We’ve reached the end of our article on the best dry food for dogs.
In our opinion, Crafted Kibble and Spot & Tango’s UnKibble are the leading options for pet owners who are looking for a fresh and healthy alternative to traditional dry food.
Crafted Kibble have one extremely enticing selling point: pre-portioned packaging. You won’t need to mess around with a cup or scooper. It’s as simple as rip and serve.
They’re also competitively priced for the service they provide. While we rate them as one of the best, they’re also one of the cheaper options in the tailored dry food for dogs market.
UnKibble is tailored to meet your dog’s needs using 14 simple ingredients, while adopting a sustainable approach to meet your canine’s needs.
They only use 100 per cent human-grade whole foods so your dog will be eating quality ingredients to promote their health.
Having said all that, Just Right by Purina and Puppo are good options and you won’t go too far wrong by feeding your dog either of these options.
They’re open about what ingredients go into their meals, which are customised depending on your dog’s age, breed, size, activity level and more.
However, we feel Crafted Kibble is the standout option for those who want a hassle free experience, while UnKibble by Spot & Tango is an excellent choice for pet parents who want to feed their dogs simple but quality meals.