What Plants Are Poisonous To Dogs?

helloBARK!
By helloBARK!
Updated on 4 April 2021
Expert Content

Do you know which plants are poisonous to dogs?

According to Rover.com survey, 71% of American dog owners allow their canine companions to have free range of their gardens or yards.

However, there is an extensive list of common indoor and outdoor plants that can be poisonous or unsafe for dogs.

Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as veterinary, medical or professional advice. Our articles and the products featured in them are not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems for you and/or your pet. It's always best to consult your vet regarding any health issues your pet may have.

It’s vital dog owners have an idea about which plants are poisonous so they can remove them from their home, garden or yard.

In this article, we hear from five experts who will speak about 15 common plants that are poisonous to dogs.

Lilies

Dr. Gary Richter, Veterinary Health Expert with Rover

Toxicity from plants is always a concern. A common issue is GI upset occurring from dogs eating the wrong plants or fallen fruit from trees. Lilies, rosemary, holly berries, foxglove, oleander and others are all toxic when ingested by animals and can lead to toxicity poisoning.

Fruit Trees, Acorns, Autumn Crocus, Spring Bulbs, Castor Bean, Cyclamen

Bryan McKenzie, Landscape Designer And Co-Founder At Bumper Crop Times

• Fruit trees – This may seem odd, but many dogs would love to banquet upon some fallen fruit. What is more surprising, the stones of cherries, plums, peaches, nectarines, and mangoes contain cyanide compounds that are highly toxic to animals. Nothing will happen if a dog swallows a whole stone, but serious problems may occur if it’s swallowed crushed. You should either avoid growing stone fruit trees in your garden or gather all the fallen fruit regularly to avoid accidents.

• Acorns – Acorns fall down in the autumn and may seem very exciting to your pet. Eating at least one fruit may cause heavy bloody diarrhea, vomiting, sleeping, and obstructions.

• Autumn crocus – This flower can cause serious liver and kidney issues if eaten. Severe cases also include bone marrow depression, which is very difficult to diagnose and treat.

• Spring bulbs – 1) Daffodils – poisoning effects include salivation, vomiting, collapsing, sleepiness, heart rate/temperature/blood pressure changes. Both bulbs and flowers are poisonous, but the bulbs have a significantly higher concentration of toxins. 2) Tulips – the toxins of this plant usually cause painful mouth irritation and salivation, but can also cause breathing difficulty and heart problems. 3) Spring crocus – unlike the Autumn crocus, this one can cause only mild stomach problems.

• Castor bean – This is one of the most dangerous plants for animals. The potential symptoms include severe diarrhea with blood, heavy salivation, notable trembling, collapses, appetite loss, and vomiting. If a dog eats too much, death may come very quickly.

• Cyclamen – This popular garden flower has poisonous tubers that may lead to death because of seizures or abnormal heart rate fluctuations. Vomiting and drooling are common for mild poisoning.

Sago Palms

Sonja Detrinidad, Online Succulent Shop Owner At Partly Sunny Projects

Sago Palms are are a common choice for gardeners wanting a tropical feel. They do well in both outdoor spaces and are now readily available as indoor plants. If you are a dog owner, this may not be the best choice for your landscape.

Unfortunately, every single bit of the plant is poisonous to your furry friend with the seeds (nuts) being the most toxic part of the plant. They are, in fact, not true palms and belong to the cycad family.

The plant contains cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent resulting in severe liver failure in dogs. You may see signs of drooling, inappetence, vomiting, and diarrhea within as little as 15 minutes of ingestion. You may also see your pet’s central nervous system impacted and your pet may experience weakness, ataxia, seizures, and tremors. Severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days post-ingestion. Clinical signs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, inappetence, abnormal fluid accumulation in the abdomen, abdominal pain, jaundice, and black-tarry stool.

Should your pet consume any part of the plant it is highly advisable to take immediate action for treatment and aggressive decontamination steps to save your pet. The survival rate, even with aggressive treatment is only about 50%. It goes without saying those are awful odds and there are other plant choices that will give you all the tropical feel without the worry.

Foxglove

Daniel Caughill, Co-Founder at The Dog Tale

Foxglove looks like a magenta cluster of bell shaped flowers commonly found in traditional gardens. However, these pretty flowers are poisonous to both humans and pets, so gardeners should exercise caution if they have dogs or small children in the home. Ingesting too much of the plant can cause your heartbeat to slow.

Bull Terrier in a field with flowers (Photo: Adobe Stock)

Bull Terrier in a field with flowers (Photo: Adobe Stock)

Tulips, Azaleas, Yuccas

Nicholas De Roma, Veterinary Technologist, Canine Behavior Specialists and Consultant for CatPet.club

• Tulips – Tulips are common to many areas of the United States,and they tend to be a favorite because of there vibrant colors. However, theseplants are also very toxic to dogs when ingested, especially if the dog ingeststhe bulb. Signs of toxicity from this plant may include a depressed or “dumpy” mentation,vomiting, diarrhea, and hypersalivation.

• Azaleas – Azaleas are also common plants, especially in thesouthern US. These plants are very colorful and may be grown in pots or soil,depending on the location. This plant is toxic to dogs, and contains a neurotoxinthat may cause diarrhea, weakness, and heart failure.

• Yuccas – Yuccas are very common plants that can thrive in justabout any environment. Yuccas contain certain types of saponins that can betoxic to cells. In addition, this plant has sharper edges and can cut the dogsskin and mouth while walking near or during ingestion. Toxicity in dogstypically presents as vomiting.

If suspect your pet may have gotten into any of theaforementioned plants, it is extremely important to contact your veterinarian,pet poison helpline, or take the pet to the nearest emergency hospitalimmediately.

Tomatoes Plants, Ivy, Oleander

Jen Jones, Dog Trainer, Dog Behavior Specialists And Founder Of Your Dog Advisor

– Tomato Plants – If ingested, tomato plants can cause gastrointestinal issues with your dog. But that’s not all, these plants also cause dilated pupils, lethargy, weakness, confusion and a slow heart rate.

– Ivy – Ivy is super popular in some climates. It also grows like a weed and can be difficult to control. If ingested by your dog, symptoms can include excessive drooling, stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea.

– Oleander – Oleander is highly toxic to pets (and people) in all its forms if ingested.

Louie the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Photo: heylittlelouie / Instagram)
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel pros and cons
Jack Russell Terrier (Photo: jackrussell_luc / Instagram)
Jack Russell Terrier pros and cons
Brussel Griffon were bred to hunt vermin in Belgian stables (Photo: Adobe Stock)
Brussels Griffon pros and cons
Aussalier puppy (Photo: Royal Crown Kennels / Instagram)
20 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel cross breeds
Pixel the Cavalier (Photo: @cavalierpixel / Instagram)
Are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Hypoallergenic?