German Shepherd are notoriously hard workers.
These German dogs can make excellent family pets but they also excel in a working role with the military, police or search and rescue.
These athletic and intelligent dogs need the right fuel in order to perform their duties at the highest level.
Whether they’re a much-loved family pet providing emotional support, a guard dog protecting their owner’s property or working as service dogs, all German Shepherds require a complete and healthy diet.
Traditionally, GSD owners may have fed their beloved dogs dry food such as kibble but there is a growing trend moving away from such canine nutrition.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at the best dog food for German Shepherds with sensitive stomachs.
As an owner of two picky eaters with sensitive tummies, I understand the importance of finding balanced and complete meals that are gentle on your German Shepherd’s digestive system.
So with the introduction complete, let’s take a look at some reasons to consider a dog food delivery before getting stuck into the best dog food options for German Shepherds with a sensitive tummy.
Jump To Section
Reasons to try dog food delivery companies
So you like the idea of feeding fresh meals to your German Shepherd but you want to learn a little more. Let’s take a look at some of the things to consider when it comes to subscribing to such a service when you’ve got a German Shepherd with a sensitive tummy.
• Freshly prepared meals – If you wouldn’t eat it, why should your dog? That’s the basic belief of dog food delivery companies that we’ve encountered. They only use the highest quality meat that meets the USDA’s standards. They cut out what are often described as “nasties” to ensure your dog is getting a complete and healthy diet. If your German Shepherd has a sensitive tummy, you want to be confident your GSD is eating balanced and complete meals.
• Customised to your German Shepherd – That all sounds great but are the meals tailored to your dog? In short, yes. You’ll be required to submit some basic information about your German Shepherd, such as name, age, weight, body type and activity level. Most companies will enquire about the previous food that you gave your GSD as well as any preferences. The attention to detail is so great that you’ll also be able to enter any allergies your German Shepherd may have or declare that your German Shepherd struggles with sensitivity to certain foods.
• Variety of recipes – I’ve got two dogs who used to be very picky at mealtime. Even if I found a brand of dry food they liked, after a few weeks, they would get bored. Since switching to a dog food delivery company, this hasn’t been an issue. Having said that, I still like to vary the recipes I select to keep them guessing. Most companies will give you the option to choose a variety of meals as part of your subscription.
• Formulated by experts – This all sounds great but how do you know your German Shepherd’s mineral and vitamin requirements are being met? Well these companies have a team of experts from within the veterinary industry who formulate the meals. In doing so, they insure all the nutrients required to protect your GSD’s health are included, whether it’s for eyesight, coat quality or good digestion. These dog food delivery companies will usually make their experts available to offer advice – too.
• Portion control – So you’re considering a dog food delivery company but you’re worried about portion control. There’ll be a temptation to add an extra little bit of food when you see your dog excited about feeding time again. Don’t worry! Most of these companies use pre portioned packaging or customised scoops so you won’t have to worry about overfeeding your precious pooch.
• Flexible subscription plans – You’re thinking about taking the plunge and signing up to one of these dog food delivery companies, but you’re worried about being tied into a long-term subscription. In our experience, most companies operate on a month-by-month basis so you can pause or cancel at any time. This is an important factor if you’ve got a picky German Shepherd or a German Shepherd with a sensitive tummy.
Best Dog Food For German Shepherds With Sensitive Stomachs
Now that we’ve looked at some of the ways dog food delivery companies can help, it’s time to highlight some of the best dog food for German Shepherds with sensitive stomachs in the USA.
1) Spot & Tango
Spot & Tango are a fresh dog food company who have created a range of balanced, complete and human-grade meals to keep your German Shepherd happy and healthy. They use honest guidance and real ingredients to ensure your German Shepherd is eating a high-quality meal. Spot & Tango don’t use artificial additives, preservatives or fillers in their recipes so you can have complete peace of mind that your fussy German Shepherd is only eating real ingredients. Spot & Tango will also personalize their meals to meet your German Shepherd’s specific needs, so you can disclose that you’ve got a GSD with a sensitive tummy and they’ll take this into account.
If you’re a new Spot & Tango customer you can avail of our exclusive 50% discount off your first order when you click here.
If you’ve got a German Shepherd who prefers dry food, Spot & Tango have a great range that can cater to German Shepherds with a sensitive tummy. While I prefer to feed dry food to my dogs, I do believe UnKibble is a great option for German Shepherd owners who reckon their pup will prefer dry food to cooked meals. UnKibble is a more affordable option as it’s 40% less expensive than fresh meals. They don’t compromise on quality – their meals contain real ingredients in simple recipes. UnKibble, which is developed by vets, is tailored to meet your German Shepherd’s requirements.
If you’re a new UnKibble customer you can avail of our exclusive 50% discount off your first order when you click here.
3) Open Farm
Open Farm have an impressive range of options for German Shepherd owners – there’s something for everyone. Whether your German Shepherd prefers fresh meals, dry food, wet food, raw mix or freeze dried raw. They’ve got a versatile array of items on their menu. Open Farm only source their ingredients from farms, plants and facilities that meet their stringent animal welfare standards. So you can be confident your German Shepherd is enjoying ingredients that have been ethically sourced. There’s full transparency as you can trace the ingredients in each recipe. They’ve got a sustainable approach to their business so you can feel good about feeding high-quality meals to your German Shepherd without compromising the planet’s health.
If you’re looking to try Open Farm for the first time, you can get 10% off using OFFIRST10 or if you’re ready to sign up to a subscription plan you can get 15% off using OFSUB15.
4) Nom Nom
Nom Nom believe in feeding real, good food to German Shepherds and other dogs in the USA. They explain on their website that their meals have been designed by their board certified veterinary nutritionists with quality, flavor and texture in mind. Nom Nom gently cook every meat and vegetable individually before they’re mixed into batches to create their recipes. Nom Nom will take into account your German Shepherd’s diet history, such as GSDs who have sensitive tummies or have been picky eaters, before personalizing your dog’s recipes. Nom Nom have a team of pet health experts on staff, including veterinary nutritionists and a microbiologist researching what make good dog food!
You can avail of Nom Nom’s 50 percent discount by clicking this link.
5) A Pup Above
A Pup Above offer a range of dog food that is created by using the sous-vide cooking method. Their meals contain 100% human-grade ingredients that are cooked at low temperatures to protect their nutritional goodness. They only use USDA-approved meat and non-GMO vegetables in their recipes that are vet approved. Like Open Farm, they offer customers the chance to trace every ingredient in their recipes to the source. So you’ll be in no doubt about the quality of the ingredients that your German Shepherd is eating.
Our readers can can get 25% off their first A Pup Above order when they sign up to a subscription plan using the HELLOBARK25 coupon code at the checkout. Click here to subscribe now!
How We Picked Best Dog Food For German Shepherds
German Shepherds need a balanced, complete and healthy diet just like any dog. You need to ensure that your GSD is getting the necessary nutrients and vitamins to give them a platform to perform to their best of their ability, whether that’s as a family pet or a service animal.
While you may be using dry food from a traditional brand, not all of these options provide the right minerals and vitamins for your dog. Some could also use what are often referred to as “nasties” within the dog food industry.
We really believe in feeding our dogs meals using fresh ingredients formulated by experts. For that reason, we recommend dog food delivery companies.
We did extensive research to discover the dog food brands with the best reputation for creating balanced and complete meals in a sustainable way. Once we made a shortlist of contenders, we placed orders to see if the recipes passed the taste test with our dogs.
The list above represents what we consider to be the leading options for dog owners searching for the best collapsible dog crate for a large dog.
We update this list regularly for accuracy and integrity.
Wrapping Up – Our Final Thoughts
We’ve reached the end of our feature on the best dog food for German Shepherds with sensitive stomachs.
In my experience, my dogs love fresh meals but some German Shepherd owners may prefer to avoid the hassle of storing and defrosting precooked meals.
If you don’t want to have to consider fridge and freezer space or your German Shepherd prefers dry food, UnKibble could be a good solution.
However, you won’t go wrong with any of the options in this article should you decide to opt for Open Farm, Nom Nom or A Pup Above.