Are you a French Bulldog owner looking for a new type of pet food?
Maybe your Frenchie has experienced some health issues or has struggled with obesity.
Perhaps you just want to adopt a fresh approach to your French Bulldog’s nutrition.
You may be accustomed to feeding your dog traditional dog food brands that you can find at the supermarket.
These big-name brands can often use mystery ingredients, fillers and even nasties in their dog food.
Fortunately, there’s no shortage of fresh and healthy alternatives that can provide your Frenchie with balanced and complete dog food.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as veterinary, medical or professional advice. The content of our articles does not constitute veterinary advice. It’s always best to speak with your vet or a certified pet nutritionist before making any changes to your pet's diet or feeding routine.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at the best dog food for French Bulldogs in the UK, examining the leading options within the fresh dog food, dry dog food and raw dog food markets.
Jump To Section
Best Dog Food For French Bulldogs: The Options
|Butternut Box||• Rip-and-serve • Six recipes • Human grade||Buy Now|
|Pure||• Air-dried food • Backed by vets • Customised||Buy Now|
|Poppy's Picnic||• Quality raw meat • British ingredients • No nasties||Buy Now|
Things To Look For In Dog Food
• Ingredients – If you’re looking to adopt a fresh approach to your French Bulldog’s diet, you’ll want to ensure the dog food company you decide to go with use fresh ingredients. If you’re like me, you’ll want to know that the ingredients are high quality and responsibly sourced.
• Formulated By Vets – We care about our canine companions and there’s no greater peace of mind than knowing that your dog’s meals have been formulated by experienced and respected veterinarians. It’s a good idea to keep an eye out for the involvement of pet nutritionists or vets.
• Preparation – Have you wondered how your French Bulldog’s meals are prepared? Odds are if you’re looking to switch up your Frenchie’s diet, you’ll be paying closer attention to how dog food company’s cook your dog’s meals.
• Customization – I love having the ability to customize your dog’s meals to meet their specific requirements. Most dog food companies will ask pet parents to fill out a questionnaire in order to get a clear idea of your dog, or in this case, Frenchie.
• Recipe Variety – If you’ve got a picky French Bulldog on your hands, you’ll appreciate the ability to pick and choose meals. The greater the variety of recipes, the more likely you’ll find something that your fussy Frenchie will like.
• Portioned – In my experience, it’s much easier to feed your dog using pre-portioned packaging rather than trying to work out the portion size yourself. It’s a welcome bonus when dog food companies store your dog’s meals in pre-portioned pouches.
• Price – You should expect to pay a little more for your dog’s food than you would for traditional dog food brands. However, the added cost is a result of the high quality ingredients used to create your French Bulldog’s healthy meals.
• Deliveries – If you’re looking into a new approach to your pet’s nutrition, you’ll be thrilled to learn that the options mentioned in this article all deliver your balanced and complete dog food direct to your door. So you’ll never have to worry about going to the pet store or supermarket to collect dog food again.
Fresh Dog Food UK: Butternut Box
Butternut Box are one of the leading dog food delivery companies in the UK.
Established in 2016, Butternut Box have been providing dogs with freshly cooked dog meals containing high quality ingredients to promote healthy lifestyles for canines throughout the UK.
Their website explains that Butternut Box are putting the food back into dog food so you can have peace of mind knowing that your dog is eating real ingredients that you can see and say.
There are no nasties in their dog food so you won’t need to worry about any hidden additives or fillers. If you have any doubt, each meal packet has the ingredients clearly listed.
Butternut Box can tailor their meals to meet your French Bulldog’s specific requirements based upon the information provided by you in their sign-up questionnaire.
Once you’ve entered the key details about your Frenchie, selected the recipes you’d like to try and entered the delivery details, Butternut Box will ship your dog’s customised meals direct to your door.
• High quality, fresh ingredients – Butternut Box use high quality ingredients in their recipes comprised of 60% meat, 40% vegetables, lentils and minerals.
• Customised meals – Based upon the information provided by you in your questionnaire, Butternut Box will tailor their meals accordingly to meet your Frenchie’s needs.
• Range of recipes – I love that Butternut Box have a big range of recipes given I’ve got two extremely picky Alaskan Klee Kai: Pork This Way, Chow Down Chicken, Beef It Up, Wham Bam Lamb, Oh My Cod and Gobble Gobble Turkey.
• Eco-friendly packaging – If you and your Frenchie want to leave a green paw print on the world, you’ll be pleased to know that Butternut Box use recycable packaging and their insulation can be returned to them.
• Premium cost – While Butternut Box will cost more than traditional dog food brands that you find at your local supermarket, their meals still cost less than a cup of coffee a day. Their meals start from a £1.31 a day.
Good news: We can offer new Butternut Box customers an exclusive discount of 50% off their first order and 50% offer their second order through this link.
• Can only order from their website – You won’t find Butternut Box in your regular pet store or supermarket. You can only sign up to this dog food delivery service via their website.
What Dog Owners Are Saying
Butternut Box have an average of 4.9 stars out of 5 based upon over 6,500 reviews on independent review website Trustpilot. This is an outstanding average given the sheer volume of reviews.
Jo explained that her fussy Frenchie is obssessed with Butternut Box.
Nothing about this company I don’t like. They are attentive and thorough without being annoying. Most importantly, our fussy French Bulldog loves the product. No junk in it. He stalks us when he sees the food package coming out of the fridge. And they seem to send a little dog gift every time – the latest a collapsible rubber travel Water bowl. Thank you Butternut!
Jenny revealed the impact that Butternut Box had on her poorly Frenchie.
This has been absolutely brilliant for our rescue dog. She’s a French Bulldog and was so unwell. She’s thriving now. She’s not feeling sick anymore. Her coat looks amazing, she’s not shedding, she’s gained weight and has so much more energy!
My Alaskan Klee Kai have always been fussy eaters that quickly grew tired of traditional dog food brands.
They’ve also suffered with health issues given they both have sensitive stomachs and allergies to certain types of food. This led to retching and vomiting as well as trips to the emergency vet.
I was introduced to Butternut Box by a friend and I haven’t looked back since transitioning my Klee Kai onto their fresh dog meals.
Their health issues are a thing of the past thanks to the high quality ingredients in the recipes. They’re no longer picky and they wolf down their Butternut Box meals as soon as their bowls hit the tiled floor.
We can offer new Butternut Box customers an exclusive discount of 50% off their first order and 50% offer their second order through this link.
Air-Dried Dry Dog Food: Pure Pet Food
While my preferred form of dog nutrition is fresh dog meals, there are other healthy options that British pet owners can consider for their Frenchie.
If you prefer to feed your French Bulldog dry food over fresh meals, there are a number of dog food companies in the UK that provide tailored dry food.
Having reviewed some of the leading options in this particular market, I consider Pure Pet Food to be an excellent choice for French Bulldog owners.
Pure Pet Food are a dry food company based in Yorkshire who have been creating their natural and healthy pet food in their human-grade kitchen.
Their website outlines that they use an air-dried method to enhance the nutritional goodness and the flavour of their dry dog food.
• Air-Dried method – Pure Pet Food use an air-dried method to remove moisture and lock in the nutrients. Their website writes that “this non-destructive air-drying maintains ingredients’ nutritional integrity”.
• Customised – Frenchie owners can enter the key details about their pup in the sign-up questionnaire to allow Pure Pet Food to tailor their meals accordingly.
• Backed by vets – Pure Pet Food has the backing from a number of leading vets.
• Shipped to your door – You can permanently tick off dog food on your weekly shopping list if you decide to go with Pure Pet Food.
• Storage – Unlike some fresh dog food companies, you can store Pure Pet Food in your cupboard or pantry so it won’t take up room in your freezer.
• Price – Pure Pet Food will cost more than regular dry food you’ll find in the pet food section at the supermarket.
• Preparation – You’ll be required to use two scoopers to combine Pure Pet Food’s air-dried dog food with water before mixing to create your Frenchie’s food.
• Can only order on their website – Pure Pet Food is only available to order through their website.
What Dog Owners Are Saying
Pure Pet Food get 4.8 stars out of 5 based upon nearly 2,000 reviews on independent review website Trustpilot.
Bridget gave a glowing five-star review to Pure Pet Food.
My dogs can be fussy eaters (2 French Bulldogs) but they love this food. It smells like human chicken broth when I make it up. At the moment I’m mixing half Pure Pet Food and half tinned. The bowls are glistening after they finish. It’s easy to store, easy to prepare, no tins for the bin and I buy the wholesome chicken. Highly recommend.
Anne had success with Pure Pet Food with her French Bulldog, Hugo.
Finally I have found dog food for Hugo, my French bulldog, that he eats more of than he should. So easy to store and make up. Never any left in his bowl. So glad I found Pure. He absolutely loves the dried fish treats too. At last I’ve got my freezer space back
Pure Pet Food are one of the leading options in the dry dog food market in the UK.
With a range of eight recipes, they’ve got different flavours to satisfy even the fussiest French Bulldogs.
Pure Pet Food look to retain the nutritional integrity of their dog food by using an air-dried method to cook the natural ingredients and high quality meat.
While your French Bulldog’s meals will require a little effort on your part to put together each evening, it’s a small price to pay if you value your freezer space.
Raw Dog Food UK – Poppy’s Picnic
You may have noticed a growing number of dog owners who have made the switch to a raw diet.
However, this is a controversial area of pet nutrition with advantages and disadvantages to raw dog food.
Editor's note: It’s important to be aware of the risks associated with raw pet food, as it can be contaminated with harmful bacteria (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria and E. coli). The UK government website offers the following advice to pet owners: wash your hands with hot water and soap immediately after handling raw pet food or treats; clean and disinfect all surfaces and utensils that the raw pet food touches; store and defrost raw pet food away from where human food is stored. Young children should not touch or eat raw pet food, as they’re more at risk of illness because their immune system is still developing and they’re more likely to put their hands in their mouth. You can check out the UK government’s guidance in full via this link.
Poppy’s Picnic are one of the leading raw dog food companies in the UK, having been established in 2016.
Founded by Dylan Watkins with help from his Miniature Schnauzer, Poppy’s Picnic offer raw dog food that is free from hidden nasties.
• Wholesome recipes – Poppy’s Picnic use a mixture of fresh British meat, vegetables, herbs, botanicals, liver and kidney in their recipes.
• Vet approved – This raw dog food company have utilised the knowledge of canine nutritionists, vets and butchers to create their recipes.
• British – Poppy’s Picnic source the ingredients in their recipes from Great Britain. There are no additives, fillers or preservatives.
• Tailored – You’ll be required to enter details about French Bulldog to allow the raw dog food company to tailor their meals to your pup.
• Freezer space – Poppy’s Picnic’s trays will need to be stored in the freezer. However, they’ll enquire about your freezer space so you won’t be overwhelmed.
• Risks of raw dog food – People can become unwell after handling raw pet food and treats. The UK government doesn’t recommend feeding raw if you live in a home with small children, immunocompromised people or elderly grandparents. Raw meat can be contaminated with harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria and E. coli. Consult your vet before making the switch to raw food.
What Dog Owners Are Saying
Poppy’s Picnic have an average rating of 4.9 stars out of 5 based upon nearly 1,200 reviews on Reviews.io.
Shatford wrote that her Frenchies had a great experience with Poppy’s Picnic.
I was worried about going raw for my Frenchies, who have sensitive tummies. However, it was the best change ever and Poppy’s Picnic answered my questions which helped to make the transition very smooth. I would highly recommend Poppy’s Picnic – quality food and great customer service. My puppies love the food and their poos and tummies have never been better.
Hickham was surprised by her dog’s passion for Poppy’s Picnic.
I thought my dog just wasn’t that into food, but he absolutely loves Poppy’s picnic! We now get happy tappy feet and impatient “hurry up with my food” woos. It does take a fair bit of space up in the freezer, but as it’s nicely packed it does stack well letting you maximise room.
There’s little doubt that Poppy’s Picnic are a respected dog food company.
We recommend doing thorough research about raw dog food diets before you decide to sign up to a dog food delivery company.
While we briefly touched upon the pros and cons of the raw fed diet, there is a lot more to consider so it’s important you weigh everything up.
If you do decide to adopt a raw dog diet for your French Bulldog, Poppy’s Picnic seem to be an excellent choice within this particular market.
Anything Else To Consider?
If you’re thinking of making a change to your dog’s diet, we recommend and urge you to speak to your vet before you decide to start the transition process.
Your vet can offer advice based upon your French Bulldog’s medical history or their experience whether your preferred type of nutrition is a good fit for you and your Frenchie.
Most dog food companies recommend making a gradual transition to a new type of dog food over the course of a couple of weeks rather than doing so immediately.
We’ve reached the end of our feature on the best dog food for Frenchies in the UK right now.
Based upon my experience with my Alaskan Klee Kai, I prefer fresh dog meals provided by a dog food delivery company such as Butternut Box.
My picky mini huskies have always devoured their Butternut Box meals, enjoying the range of flavours and the food smells genuinely good.
Having said that, if you prefer to stick to dry dog food, Pure Pet Food represent a good option with their air-dried method.
For those who have decided raw dog food is the way to go, Poppy’s Picnic are my preferred pick for British owners of French Bulldogs.