Do you have a picky Cockapoo on your hands?
Cockapoos are a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle, resulting in an active, friendly and low-shedding hybrid dog.
Most members of this cross breed are highly food motivated, but there are still some Cockapoos who can be fussy about their food.
Alternatively, you may own a Cockapoo with food allergies or stomach problems, resulting in the need to find balanced and complete dog food.
You may be feeding your Cockapoo a traditional dog food brand but you want to make the switch to a fresh dog food diet to promote good health.
Some traditional dry and wet food options at pet stores and supermarkets contain mystery ingredients, additives or nasties.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at the best dog food options for Cockapoo owners in the UK right now.
We’ll examine the leading options with three different types of pet nutrition: fresh dog food, customised dry food and raw dog food.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as veterinary, medical or professional advice. The content of our articles does not constitute veterinary advice. It’s always best to speak with your vet or a certified pet nutritionist before making any changes to your pet's diet or feeding routine.
Jump To Section
Best Dog Food For Cockapoos UK: The Options
|Butternut Box||• Rip-and-serve • Six recipes • Human grade||Buy Now|
|Pure||• Air-dried food • Backed by vets • Customised||Buy Now|
|Poppy's Picnic||• Raw dog food • Locally sourced • Reliable deliveries||Buy Now|
Things To Look For In Dog Food
• Ingredients – If you’ve decided that you want to put your Cockapoo on a new diet, you’ll want to be sure that the dog food company is using high quality ingredients in their recipes, such as human-grade meat and vegetables.
• Formulated By Vets – There’s no greater peace of mind than knowing that the dog food company that you opt for have used experienced vets and animal nutritionists to formulate their recipes to ensure the meals are balanced and complete.
• Preparation – If you’re willing to pay a little more for your Cockapoo’s food to ensure they get a better standard of nutrition, it’s important that your Cockapoo’s meals are prepared with care in human-grade facilities.
• Customization – Whether you’ve got a Cockapoo who lives an active life or your designer dog is a couch potato, the dog food delivery companies will tailor their meals accordingly to meet your Cockapoo’s specific needs.
• Recipe Variety – If you’ve got fussy eaters like me, you’ll love the fact that these dog food delivery companies offer an array of recipes to keep your Cockapoo’s taste buds guessing what source of protein is one the menu.
• Portioned – We prefer dog food delivery companies who use pre-portioned packaging so it’s as easy emptying the the contents in your Cockapoo’s bowl or feeding mat. There’s no messing around with utensils.
• Price – While you’ll have to pay a little more than you would for your Cockapoo’s old food, you’ll hopefully see that the benefits outweigh the additional costs.
• Deliveries – The good news is that the dog food companies featured in this article will ship your Cockapoo’s meals direct to your door so you won’t have to worry about stepping outside your door during these crazy times.
Fresh Dog Food UK: Butternut Box
Butternut Box are a fresh dog food company based in the UK looking to put the “food back into dog food”.
This company was created in 2016 with the mission to provide British dogs with human-grade meals to promote a healthier lifestyle.
Butternut Box only use fresh fruit and vegetables in their dog food, while their meat is high quality to ensure your Cockapoo can enjoy great sources of protein.
Their website explains that their recipes are formulated with the help of vets, while Butternut Box’s meals don’t contain any hidden additives or nasties.
Butternut Box’s website reveals that their array of recipes are even taste-tested by humans – because if it isn’t good enough for us, we shouldn’t expect our dogs to eat it.
Encouragingly, Butternut Box have an impressive 4.9 stars out of 5 based upon over 6,500 reviews on Trustpilot. That’s a lot of happy British dogs!
• High-quality ingredients – Butternut Box only use human-grade ingredients in their dog food to ensure your dog gets the very best in pet nutrition.
• Tailored meals – By entering the key details about your Cockapoo on their website, Butternut Box can tailor your pup’s meals to meet their specific needs.
• Extensive menu – If your Cockapoo is fussy like my Klee Kai, you’ll be thrilled to learn that Butternut Box offer six different recipes: Pork This Way, Chow Down Chicken, Beef It Up, Wham Bam Lamb, Oh My Cod and Gobble Gobble Turkey.
• Pre-portioned – You won’t have to worry about fussing around with utensils at mealtime. Butternut Box use pre-portioned packaging so it’s really as easy as rip and serve.
• Eco-friendly – There’s a strong eco-friendly theme running through Butternut Box, using recyclable packaging and insulation.
• Premium price – Butternut Box will cost more than traditional dog food that you’d find at the supermarket. However, their balanced and complete meals cost less than a cup of coffee per day.
• Can only order from their website – Butternut Box is only available on their website so you won’t be able to find this company at your local pet store or supermarket.
Good news: We can offer new Butternut Box customers an exclusive discount of 50% off their first order and 50% offer their second order through this link.
What Are Dog Owners Saying
Butternut Box have an average of 4.9 stars out of 5 based upon over 6,500 reviews on independent review website Trustpilot.
Meg reveals how Butternut Box changed her Cockapoo’s eating patterns.
I genuinely can not recommend Butternut Box enough. Our Cockapoo puppy would go days without eating: we tried copious amounts of different foods: kibble, raw and wet but he would refuse/get bored within 2 days (if he actually ate it). He also suffered with a regular upset stomach and would get us up during the night as he was desperate for the loo. Since we’ve moved to Butternut Box, we’ve had no issues – touch wood – with his toileting and he cries at his food bowl whilst demolishing every bit of food. He’s now puppy on weight and is a healthy, happy puppy. The process is amazingly smooth, from ordering the flavours to delivery to the front door. Outstanding.
Sarah explained some of the pros of switching to Butternut Box.
I recently changed my Cockapoo over to Butternut Box from a good quality leading brand of dry and wet dog food. I am sooooooo glad I did and I wish I’d done it sooner. He LOVES his new food, his coat is glossy, his stools are much more consistent and he seems more upbeat! I also opted to try the new dried food snacks with fish (he has a slight ligament issue, so needs daily oils, the vets ones which can upset his tummy) and he loves those too! I am super happy and so is Ziggy. It comes in daily amount pouches and is super easy. Highly recommend, looks good enough to eat myself!
Butternut Box are one of the leading dog food delivery companies in the UK thanks to their fresh meals.
Having switched my Alaskan Klee Kai onto their balanced and complete meals, I haven’t looked back. Gone are the days of my Klee Kai being fussy with their food.
They love their Butternut Box meals and their stomach problems are a thing of the past. I’ve also noticed that their tear stains are much improved and they even shed less.
Butternut Box make life easy for Cockapoo owners with their pre-portioned pouches that make feeding your pup simple. You can have peace of mind knowing that your Cockapoo’s food has been created with the input of vets and tailored to meet your dog’s specific needs.
We can offer helloBARK! readers an exclusive 50% discount off their first order and 50% discount off their second order of Butternut Box through this link.
Customised Dry Dog Food: Pure Pet Food
Some Cockapoo owners may prefer to stick with a dry food diet for now.
You can still feed your Cockapoo dry food but adopt a fresh and healthy approach to this particular type of pet nutrition.
Pure Pet Food are one of the leading dry dog food companies in the UK.
They’re based in Yorkshire where they operate from their human-grade kitchen, fuelling dogs around the UK with their high-quality meals.
Pure use an air-dried method to create their food, explaining that this means they can remove moisture and retain all the nutritional goodness.
Their website writes that Pure wants dog owners to be able to take control of their pet’s health, providing peace of mind that your pup is eating a balanced and healthy diet without nasties.
• Air-dried – Pure use an air-dried method to create their range of recipes. Their website explains that they believe this method of cooking removes moisture and locks in all the goodness.
• Customised – By entering key details about your Cockapoo, Pure can tailor their dog food to meet your hybrid dog’s specific needs. Whether they need to lose weight or put on some pounds, they’ve got you covered.
• Vet approved – Pure has been created with the input of a number of vets and animal nutritionists. So you can feel confident your Cockapoo is getting all the minerals and nutrients required to live a happy life.
• Storage – Unlike some fresh dog food companies, Pure’s meals can be stored in a cupboard in your kitchen so it won’t take up freezer space.
• Price – Pure will cost a little more than other dry dog food brands you may be accustomed to seeing on the supermarket shelf. However, Pure’s meals use high-quality ingredients, providing a premium dog food service.
• Preparation – While it’s hardly a hassle to create your Cockapoo’s Pure meals, it does require a little effort on your part to mix the air-dried food with some water before serving.
• Only buy on their website – You can only find Pure for sale on their website.
What Are Dog Owners Saying
Pure Pet Food get 4.8 stars out of 5 based upon nearly 2,000 reviews on independent review website Trustpilot.
Craig revealed that his fussy eater loves Pure’s meals.
I first came across your company on Facebook. I have a very lively Cockapoo but was an extremely fussy eater. I thought I had got it right with his pellet normal food supplemented with a gravy addition. However, after a month he started his old habits of ignoring his food. I gave your food a trial and he can’t wait for his two daily meals. He even cleans the bowl so well I hardly need to clean it. His second delivery arrived on time and I’m relieved that I didn’t run out.
Denise explained that she wished she had found Pure sooner.
Wish I had found this food sooner for my very fussy eater. My 18 month old Cockapoo would only eat kibble if something was mixed with it, tried lots of different brands and flavours that people recommend but he would only eat it for a week or two then not touch it. Tried the leave food down and he’ll eat when he’s hungry but he would go in the garden and eat grass to be sick rather than eat kibble. Happier on wet food but only from trays not tinned, so when I say fussy he is very fussy! None of this I thought healthy so when I saw an advert for Pure I thought I would give it a try and the change was instant. He has eaten every meal as soon as it’s put down and seems to actually enjoy it. The training treats have gone down well too. The website for Pure is so easy to use, set up an account and you can add to and change your monthly order and change delivery date.
While my dogs usually eat Butternut Box, I did get the chance to test some Pure Pet Food samples on my Alaskan Klee Kai.
To my surprise, they really enjoyed this format of dry food given they’ve previously turned their noses up at dry food.
I could tell that Pure have great ingredients that are truly high quality, ensuring that your Cockapoo is getting a balanced and complete meal.
Pure will ship your Cockapoo’s food to your door to make life easy for you.
Raw Dog Food UK – Poppy’s Picnic
If you’re thinking about making the switch to a raw dog food diet, you should do a lot of research about this particular type of pet nutrition.
There are pros and cons to raw dog food which means Cockapoo owners should think carefully about whether this type of dog food is a fit for you and your pup.
Editor's note: It’s important to be aware of the risks associated with raw pet food, as it can be contaminated with harmful bacteria (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria and E. coli). The UK government website offers the following advice to pet owners: wash your hands with hot water and soap immediately after handling raw pet food or treats; clean and disinfect all surfaces and utensils that the raw pet food touches; store and defrost raw pet food away from where human food is stored. Young children should not touch or eat raw pet food, as they’re more at risk of illness because their immune system is still developing and they’re more likely to put their hands in their mouth. You can check out the UK government’s guidance in full via this link.
Poppy’s Picnic have been in operation over the past five years. They source their ingredients from British butchers to ensure your Cockapoo is getting a balanced and complete diet.
They’ll tailor their meals to meet specific needs of your Cockapoo, whether your canine companion needs to gain weight or lose weight.
• Wholesome recipes – Poppy’s Picnic have a range of different recipes that contain meat, vegetables, herbs and other nutrients.
• Vet input – They work with vets to ensure your Cockapoo’s meals are balanced and complete.
• Meat sourced from local butchers – They source their meat from local butchers, so your Cockapoo will be eating human-grade meat.
• Tailored – Poppy’s Picnic will create a meal plan that meets your Cockapoo’s specific needs. You can also liaise with their customer service team.
• Freezer space – Poppy’s Picnic will need to be stored in your freezer, apart from the meal that you plan to use that day, which goes in the fridge. This could be an issue if you’ve got limited space.
• Risks of raw dog food – People can become unwell after handling raw pet food and treats. The UK government doesn’t recommend feeding raw if you live in a home with small children, immunocompromised people or elderly grandparents. Raw meat can be contaminated with harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria and E. coli. Consult your vet before making the switch to raw dog food.
What Customers Are Saying
Poppy’s Picnic get an average rating of 4.7 stars out of 5 based upon nearly 100 reviews on Reviews.io.
Margaret has been with Poppy’s Picnic since 2018 – has no regets.
Having used other good Raw food companies on the market I have found that Poppy’s Picnic were the most helpful when back in 2018 I needed to look at how to put both my cockapoos on a diet. You were the only company that actually set out a plan of action to help me and I’ve not looked back. In 2018 they were both over 17 kg and although it has taken me a while they are both now under 15 kg with a very happy vet.
Debbie left a gushing five-star review.
Having tried a number of raw food companies for my Cockapoo, a friend recommended Poppys Picnic 3 years ago and I have been buying from them ever since. Wonderful customer service and a quality product at a great price.
Poppy’s Picnic are the leading raw dog food company in the UK, with an average rating of 4.7 on Truspilot and Poppy’s Picnic have an average rating of 4.9 stars based upon nearly 1,200 reviews on Reviews.io.
They’ve got a satisfied customer base which speaks volume for their healthy raw dog food recipes.
I was sent some Poppy’s Picnic samples to try and my dogs enjoyed it as a topper to their regular food.
However, Cockapoo owners should keep in mind the pros and cons of raw dog food that I referenced above.
If you do your research and decide a raw fed diet is a good fit for you and your Cockapoo, Poppy’s Picnic is a good company to try.
Anything Else To Consider?
If you’ve decided to make a change to your Cockapoo’s diet in pursuit of balanced and complete meals that are made using fresh ingredients, that’s great.
However, this article doesn’t constitute veterinarian advice so you should speak to your local vet to get their advice on how to make the transition and get answers to any questions you may have.
Most dog food companies will usually recommend making a slow transition to a new type of dog food to avoid upsetting your dog’s stomach.
We’ve reached the end of our look at the best dog food for Cockapoos in the UK at the moment.
In my experience, my Alaskan Klee Kai really enjoyed their Butternut Box meals, scoffing down their portions at dinnertime.
Their Butternut Box meals smelt good and I could clearly see the ingredients used within the recipe such as the fresh vegetables.
If you’d prefer to stick with dry dog food, Pure Pet Food use an air-dried method that seems to be a hit with a lot of British pet parents.
Finally, Cockapoo owners who want to switch to raw dog food could consider Poppy’s Picnic to meet their needs.