Are you struggling to find suitable dog food for your Chihuahua?
The good news is that you don’t have to feed your Chihuahua store-bought dog food any longer if you’d prefer to feed your Chi balanced and complete meals.
There’s a range of fresh dog food options that have emerged in the United Kingdom over the past five years to give Chihuahua owners plenty of choice when it comes to pet nutrition.
Some of the traditional dry and wet dog food options that you find at your local pet store can contain additives, nasties or preservatives.
However, the three companies that we’ll feature in this article only use fresh ingredients in their recipes which are formulated by animal nutritionists and veterinarians.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the leading fresh dog food, dry dog food and raw dog food options in the UK at the moment.
You can check out our guide to the best dog food delivery companies in the UK at the moment by clicking this link.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as veterinary, medical or professional advice. The content of our articles does not constitute veterinary advice. It’s always best to speak with your vet or a certified pet nutritionist before making any changes to your pet's diet or feeding routine.
Jump To Section
Best Dog Food For Chihuahuas UK: The Options
|Butternut Box||• Rip-and-serve • Six recipes • Human grade||Buy Now|
|Pure||• Air-dried food • Backed by vets • Customised||Buy Now|
|Poppy's Picnic||• Quality raw meat • British ingredients • No nasties||Buy Now|
Things To Look For In Dog Food
• Ingredients – If you’re ready to embrace a fresh type of pet nutrition, you’ll want to know that these dog food companies are using fresh ingredients that are responsibly sourced.
• Formulated By Vets – There’s no greater peace of mind than knowing that your dog’s food has been formulated by vets who are willing to put their name and reputation to a recipe.
• Preparation – We like when dog food delivery companies are transparent about how your Chihuahua’s food has been created, whether it’s gently cooked, air-dried or raw.
• Customization – Whether you’ve got a Chihuahua that needs to gain or lose weight, they can tailor your Chi’s meals to meet their specific needs based upon the information provided by you in the sign-up questionnaire.
• Recipe Variety – If you’ve got picky eaters like me, you’ll appreciate when dog food delivery companies offer a range of recipes to keep even the fussiest Chihuahuas happy.
• Portioned – You won’t have to mess around at mealtime with utensils, measuring cups or weighing scales with some of the dog food delivery companies. For example, Butternut Box store your Chihuahua’s meals in pre-portioned packaging.
• Price – Although these balanced and complete meals will cost more than store-bought dog food from some big-name brands, it costs less than your daily cup of coffee to provide your Chihuahua with these healthy meals.
• Deliveries – You won’t have to step outside your door – these dog food companies will deliver your meals direct to your doorstep to make your life easy!
Fresh Dog Food UK: Butternut Box
Butternut Box have a fresh take on dog food – they can provide your Chihuahua with fresh dog meals made with real ingredients.
Their website writes that Butternut Box are looking to put the food back into dog food because they believe dogs deserve better.
Butternut Box’s meals are made using 60% meat and 40% vegetables, lentils and minerals. Their website reiterates there are no nasties in their meals.
They even go as far as to taste test your Chihuahua’s meals – if it’s not good enough for you to eat, why should you expect your Chi to eat it?
By filling out their questionnaire, Butternut Box can suggest a custom meal plan before you can pick and choose from their six different recipes.
Your Chihuahua’s meals will be stored in a pre-portioned pouches so it’s as simple as rip and serve. It couldn’t be easier!
If you’re an environmentally-conscious dog owner like me, you’ll appreciate the fact that Butternut Box use eco-friendly packaging.
• High-quality ingredients – Your Chihuahua will be eating real food free from additives or nasties.
• Custom meal plans – Tailored to meet your Chihuahua’s specific needs.
• Range of recipes – Pork This Way, Chow Down Chicken, Beef It Up, Wham Bam Lamb, Oh My Cod and Gobble Gobble Turkey.
• Pre-portioned – No fussing around at mealtime – just rip and serve.
• Eco-friendly – Recyclable packaging.
• Price – Costs more than traditional dog food brands found at your local pet store or supermarket.
• Ordering – Can only order Butternut Box from their website.
What Are Chihuahua Owners Saying
Butternut Box receives an average of 4.9 stars out of 5 stars based upon over 6,500 reviews on independent review website Trustpilot.
Mandy was left astonished by her Chihuahua’s reaction to Butternut Box.
I have the fussiest dog on the planet when it comes to food! She is also a diva but my little princess, so I want what is best for her health. After trying a few other brands to no avail, I was recommended to try Butternut Box from a friend who also has a fussy eater. Ordering was really easy and when I had questions, the team were readily available and gave excellent advise and service. When the food arrived, well packaged and still frozen, I let my dog choose which one she wanted to try first. Well, I was surprised when she ran off with one packet and came back and took two more! After prising them from her jaws (she’s a Chihuahua, it wasn’t too difficult!) We opened one up and gave it a try. She licked her plate clean. FIRST.TIME.EVER! What can I say but wow! She loves the food, it smells really good and full of wholesome goodies.
Alisia shed light on how Butternut Box’s meals transformed her Chihuahua’s life.
Butternut Box has changed my dogs life! honestly I cannot tell you how hard it was to make my little senior chihuahua eat before Butternut. He would move his food around his bowl and not really touch anything. He was skinny and loosing his hair which caused me so much stress. As soon as I switched to butternut I saw a huge difference. He eats his food straight away, in fact he devours it. Every time he sees a little pouch of food his tail wags and he starts salivating…honestly this stuff is doggie crack! its amazing!
I have two fussy Alaskan Klee Kai (often confused for a Husky-Chihuahua cross) who are extremely fussy eaters. Their pickiness led to a spate of health scares.
However, I’ve been feeding Butternut Box since 2019 and their health issues are a thing of the past. To my delight, they’re no longer fussy at mealtime and enjoy their fresh meals.
Butternut Box offer a great range of recipes so you can keep your Chihuahua’s taste buds guessing when it comes to what protein source will be in their bowl every day.
Their eco-friendly approach means you can feed your dog balanced and complete meals but not at the expense of the planet.
Butternut Box’s outstanding reviews on Trustpilot from Chihuahua owners and other British pet parents should fill you with confidence – too.
We can offer helloBARK! readers an exclusive 50% discount off their first order and 50% of their second order of Butternut Box through this link.
Customised Dry Dog Food UK: Pure Pet Food
If you don’t like the idea of fresh meals and you’d rather stick with dry food, Pure Pet Food offer balanced and complete meals in that preferred format.
Pure allow Chihuahua owners in the UK to feed their little canine companion healthy dry food rather than relying on some of the traditional kibble brands that sometimes can contain mystery ingredients.
Based in their human-grade kitchen in Yorkshire, Pure Pet Food use an air-dried method to create your Chihuahua’s meals. By cooking your Chi’s food like this, Pure explain on their website that moisture will be removed and nutrients locked in.
To create your Chihuahua’s Pure meals, you’ll need to simply add water back to provide health, wholesome and grain-free meals for your furry friend.
Just like Butternut Box, Pure Pet Food will tailor your Chihuahua’s meals to their specific requirements before shipping their meals direct to your doorstep.
Their website outlines that Pure Pet Food has the backing of four different vets: Dr Julian Norton, Dr Nick Thompson, Dr Andrew Miller and Dr Brendan Clarke.
• Air-Dried Method – Moisture removed, nutrients locked in.
• Customised recipes – Tailored to meet your Chihuahua’s specific needs, taking into account food intolerances.
• Vet approved– Input of a team of vets.
• Storage – Unlike fresh dog food, you can store Pure in the cupboard rather than using up freezer space.
• Price – Pure will cost more money than traditional dog food, but you’re paying for the high quality ingredients cooked in their human-grade kitchen.
• Preparation – Chihuahua owners will be required to prepare the meals using two scoopers – for the dry food and the water.
• Website – You can only order Pure directly from their website.
What Are Chihuahua Owners Saying
Pure Pet Food get 4.8 stars out of 5 based upon nearly 2,000 reviews on independent review website Trustpilot.
Jan shed light on Pure Pet Food’s excellent customer service.
My 10 year old Chihuahua has inflammatory bowel disease and is allergic to chicken & duck. Pure have tailored her food especially for her and she loves it. Pure certainly care for their clients pets.
Karen gave glowing five-star review, admitting Pure’s food smells so good she almost wants to give it a try herself!
The food smells so good, I’ve been tempted to have a nibble. My 2 dogs love it – my chihuahua gets so excited she does a little dance where as before she wasn’t really bothered at meal times! Both of them have slimmed down and are looking much fitter and healthier.
Although my Alaskan Klee Kai do prefer their fresh dog meals, I gave them some Pure Pet Food to try.
They seemed to like it more than normal dry food given Pure requires owners to mix their air-dried food with some water, creating a paste.
My mini huskies finished their bowls quickly and didn’t show any pickiness withe the food.
If you’re convinced your Chihuahua will thrive on dry food rather than fresh meals, Pure Pet Food are a welcome compromise between the two different formats.
You can feel good knowing that Pure’s meals contain high-quality ingredients that are carefully prepared with Chihuahua’s needs in mind.
What’s more, Pure will ship your Chihuahua’s meals direct to your home so you can permanently cross off dog food on your shopping list.
Raw Dog Food UK – Poppy’s Picnic
Raw dog food can be a divisive form of pet nutrition, with strong advocates for this type of dog food but detractors who believe the negatives outweigh the positives.
We strongly urge Chihuahua owners to do careful research about raw dog food so you can make an informed decision about whether this type of pet nutrition is right for you and your home.
Editor's note: It’s important to be aware of the risks associated with raw pet food, as it can be contaminated with harmful bacteria (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria and E. coli). The UK government website offers the following advice to pet owners: wash your hands with hot water and soap immediately after handling raw pet food or treats; clean and disinfect all surfaces and utensils that the raw pet food touches; store and defrost raw pet food away from where human food is stored. Young children should not touch or eat raw pet food, as they’re more at risk of illness because their immune system is still developing and they’re more likely to put their hands in their mouth. You can check out the UK government’s guidance in full via this link.
If you do decide raw dog food is the right for your Chihuahua, Poppy’s Picnic are the leading provider of raw dog food in the UK.
This Wiltshire-based company will work carefully with you to ensure your Chihuahua’s needs are met through their questionnaire. They’re customer service team can provide guidance on feeding raw dog food to your Chi – too.
• Wholesome recipes – Balanced and complete.
• Vet input – Poppy’s Picnic is created with the help of vets.
• British – Ingredients sourced locally from butchers and farmers.
• Community feel – Poppy’s Picnic look to cultivate a community of supportive dog owners.
• Recycling – Poppy’s Picnic will collect any material that you can’t recycle.
• Freezer space – You’ll need to be smart with your freezer space.
• Risks of raw dog food (may contain harmful bacteria)
What Are Dog Owners Saying
Poppy’s Picnic have an average rating of 4.7 stars out of 5 based upon nearly 110 reviews on Trustpilot.
Anastia gave a glowing review of Poppy’s Picnic.
100% recommend Poppy’s Picnic. It is suitable for all dogs – big and small -with meals that are local sourced, tailor-made to provide the best raw food diet. No artificial flavours, additives or mystery ingredients. Poppy’s Picnic provides hassle free food service with the dogs health and wellbeing as top priority. Since my dog Archie transitioned to Raw food, after a few trail and errors of other brands, we have found Poppy’s Picnic is the only company to go to, with our vet stating “Archie was in immaculate health”.
David was delighted to see his Doxie gobble down her Poppy’s Picnic meals.
My 3 month old mini Dachshund puppy has been a bit fussy with puppy kibble, meaning I’ve had to stand over her making sure she eats it all. Well, she had her first Beef and Bone complete meal for breakfast this morning and she ate it in no time and was following me around asking for more! Although we’re only two meals in – it’s definitely a hit! She also had a Pure Hearty Bites treat yesterday evening and loved it. I’ve already put the order in for more! Delivery was quick and convenient
While I don’t regularly feed raw dog food to my Alaskan Klee Kai, I did try some Poppy’s Picnic samples, which I used as a tasty meal topper.
After I had a great chat with a customer service advisor, I felt comfortable feeding my mini huskies their raw food toppers.
They were quick to finish Poppy’s Picnic so it passed the taste test.
Chihuahua owners who are thinking about making the switch to raw should do a lot of research about this type of pet nutrition.
If you feel like to Chi will thrive on this type of dog food, you won’t go wrong with Poppy’s Picnic given their experience and reputation for high quality raw dog food.
Anything Else To Consider?
So you’ve decided to ditch your Chihuahua’s old food in favour of a fresh and healthy approach.
If you’re planning to give Butternut Box, Pure Pet Food or Poppy’s Picnic a try, we recommend speaking to your vet.
They can offer their advice and input into the decision-making process.
If you’ve made your mind up and you’re ready to give one of the three companies a try, they’ll provide detailed information on how to make the transition from your Chihuahua’s old food to their new balanced and complete meals.
We’ve reached the end of our feature on the best dog food for Chihuahuas in the UK.
My top pick is Butternut Box given I currently feed my Alaskan Klee Kai these fresh meals.
I’ve had great success with their recipes despite my mini huskies being extremely picky. Their stomach problems have cleared up and I’ve even noticed their tear stains have receded and they shed less.
Butternut Box have glowing reviews from Chihuahua owners and other British dog owners on Trustpilot which speaks volumes for the impact this company is having on dogs around the UK.
If you prefer to stick with dry dog food, you won’t go wrong with Pure Pet Food. Their air-dried dry food was a big hit with my dogs and other canines in the UK.
Poppy’s Picnic are the leading raw dog food company in the UK and they can help Chihuahua owners transition their Chis onto their food if this is your pet nutrition of choice.