Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are popular family pets.
They’re a purebred dog recognised by the American Kennel Club since 1994.
Cavaliers have grown in popularity over the past couple of decades thanks to their sweet temperaments, apartment-friendly size and moderate exercise needs.
However, like any breed, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel require a balanced and healthy diet to ensure a happy life.
You may have been feeding your Cavalier regular dog food that you pick up at the supermarket. You could be making home cooked meals for your pup.
However, in this article, we’re going to take a look at the best dog food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
Skip To Section
Best Dog Food For Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels require a balanced and complete diet.
You’ll want to ensure that your Cavalier is eating natural and healthy food to give them the best possible chance of a long lasting life with you.
We believe dog food companies that prepare fresh meals for your pooch and deliver them to your doorstep are the best option.
You won’t need to worry about your Cavalier eating too much or too little as most dog food delivery companies will use pre portioned packets.
As a dog owner with two Alaskan Klee Kai, I made the switch to a dog food delivery company in 2018 and I haven’t looked back since.
I really believe companies that freshly prepared meals using restaurant quality ingredients following recipes created by veterinarian experts is the answer.
We go to such lengths to ensure the food that we eat is having a positive impact on our bodies, it’s only natural that we should try to do the same for our canine companions. My two Alaskan Klee Kai haven’t had any tummy issues since we made the switch, which was previously a big concern.
My dogs are no longer fussy at mealtime. They love their fresh meals which is proof to me that dog food delivery companies are worth the extra investment. By having the pre portioned meals delivered direct to my doorstep, I’ve got more time to spend with my dogs rather than preparing their meals.
Having reviewed and tested many of the dog food delivery companies on the market, we consider NomNomNow and Ollie to be two of the best dog food delivery companies available on the market right now.
Alternatively, if you live in the UK and you want to make the switch to a dog food delivery company, we’ve also got some options we recommend.
Sample subscription plan
For your benefit, here is an example of the costs for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
“Cav” the Cavalier is our imaginary pup. He is a male, three years old, weighs 16 pounds, which is an ideal weight. We selected two different recipes with a monthly delivery schedule.
Based upon the above details, a dog food delivery company quoted $25.73 per week to feed “Cav” their freshly prepared dog meals.
Are There Coupon Codes Or Discount?
Most dog food delivery companies will offer around 20 per cent off your first order.
NomNomNow have a special offer for helloBARK! readers so if you want to try NomNomNow for your German Shepherd, you can avail of a 50 per cent discount off your first order by clicking this link.
Ollie offer new customers the chance to get 50 per cent off their first order. You can avail of Ollie’s 50% discount by clicking this link.
What Cavalier customers say
We researched reviews from Cavalier owners who have tried some of these freshly prepared meals from the best-known companies providing the service.
We came across a Cavalier called Oliver and his Mom Elizabeth who was struggled with hot spots and a variety of other health issues. After three years of costly treatments that racked up thousands of dollars in bills, she switched Oliver to NomNomNow.
It was really sad to see. He was miserable and itchy all the time. He’s a really sweet dog and he just wasn’t feeling well or eating properly…. Dogs need more than food – they need other nutrients. NomNomNow had everything in one package and I didn’t need to worry how much of this vitamin or that vitamin he needs. I started noticing an improvement right off the bat. His hot spots got better right away.
How is Oliver now?
1000% better. He loves it. He can’t wait to get it. He knows when it’s time to eat and gets super excited.
Dog Food Delivery Companies
A growing trend within the dog food market is dog food delivery companies.
These are companies that provide fresh dog meals direct to your doorstep. They freshly prepare the dog food using fresh, human grade ingredients.
Dog food delivery companies will avoid using any nasties in their meals to ensure your pet is only eating food that you’d consume yourself.
The general idea is better food will result in better health. These companies use ingredients that you can see and recognise, which will provide dog owners with peace of mind that their precious pooches are getting only the best.
Not only that, but they ensure all the necessary minerals and vitamins that your dog needs on a daily basis are found in their meals.
Having seen the positive impact dog food delivery companies have had on the lives of my dogs, I’ve recommended these meals to family and friends with dogs. To my delight, they’ve had similar success, especially with picky dogs.
Reasons to try dog food delivery companies
• Freshly prepared meals – Dog food delivery companies use human grade ingredients to produce their meals. They use fresh vegetables and high quality meat to create their recipes with your canine’s health in mind. These companies usually believe that if the food isn’t good enough for human consumption then we shouldn’t ask our dogs to eat it.
• Customised to your dog – When you first land on a dog food delivery company’s website, you’ll be asked for some key details about your Cavalier. These include name, age, weight, body type, activity level, allergies and more. By entering this information, they’ll be able to customise their meals to your Cavalier’s requirements whether your CKCS needs to lose weight, gain some pounds, likes to chill or is very active.
• Variety of recipes – If you’ve got picky pups like me, you’ll be able to relate to headache and heartache that occurs when your dog turns its nose up at its food. This can happen as a one off or perhaps can continue for a few days. Some dogs like variety so it’s important dog food delivery companies provide a number of different options.
• Formulated by experts – You want peace of mind knowing that your dog is getting all the necessary nutrients and vitamins required in a healthy pup’s diet. Dog food delivery companies utilise the knowledge and skills of veterinary nutritionists to ensure all bases are covered.
• Portion control – It’s all very well subscribing to a dog food delivery company but what’s the point if you still have to work out the right portions at dinner time. The providers will use pre portioned packets or custom-made scoopers so you won’t have to worry about getting the weighing scales or kitchen utensils out. It should be as easy as rip and serve.
• Motivated dogs at meal time – We love our dogs and we want to see their bellies full. I’ve got two Alaskan Klee Kai who were previously picky at mealtime. They’d nibble a little of their food but their demeanour was disinterested. Since switching to dog food delivery companies, they waste no time gobbling down their meals. It’s a joy and relief to see.
• Efficient and reliable deliveries – If you have a regular 9-5 job, you may not be at home when your delivery arrives. Don’t fret! These companies use plenty of ice in their deliveries to keep your meals fresh and unspoilt even if you’re not available to receive the package. They usually provide a variety of options to try and find a delivery slot that works for you.
• Flexible subscription plans – These subscription plans aren’t cheap like ordinary dog food. Therefore, you may want to try it for a couple of months rather than being roped into a long-term commitment. Most dog food delivery companies have a month-by-month subscription so you can cancel at any time should your personal circumstances change or the food not being a good fit for your dog.
We want to be balanced and fair in our assessment of the best dog food for Cavaliers. So we need to take a look at some of the potential negatives.
In my experience, the one challenge with dog food delivery companies is ensuring you’ve got sufficient space in your fridge or freezer. Having said that, most of the dog food delivery companies I’ve trialled or used permanently have started to provide greater options for delivery. So you can receive an order every two weeks instead of every month which requires less space in your freezer.
The only other negative is the price. This is a premium service so it’ll cost more than regular dog food that you’ll find at the supermarket or your local pet store. However, with a balanced and healthy diet, there’s a greater chance your Cavalier will require less trips to the vet. I know I had to regig my budget to sign up to a subscription plan but it was a relief not to waste money on different dog food brands at the pet store trying to find something my dog enjoy.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
The breed can trace its origins back to Scotland before they were brought to England in the 17th century. A number of historical figures have been associated with Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. These include 1st Duke of Marlborough John Churchill. His estate was called Blenheim named after his heroics at the Battle of Blenheim. The red and white members of the Cavalier breed have been dubbed the Blenheim variety in his honour.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have strong links to King Charles I and King Charles II. The latter was fond of the breed and some say he spent more time doting on his dogs rather than attending to matters of the state. Black and tan Cavaliers are named King Charles in a nod to the monarch.
During Queen Victoria’s reign as monarch, Cavaliers were mixed with Asian breeds such as pugs being imported into England. The result was an alteration in their appearance.
American Roswell Eldridge is credited with prompting the restoration of the old features of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He offered a cash prize to British breeders who could revive the breed’s old style in 1926. At this time, a line was drawn between the King Charles Spaniel and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
The first Cavalier King Charles Spaniel arrived in the USA in 1956. W. Lyon Brown was the first American to own a member of the breed in USA and she was one of the founding members of the Cavalier King Charles Club USA. The breed received recognition by the American Kennel Club in 1994 and a year later by the United Kennel Club.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel appearance and size
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel have a breed standard that states these companion-sized dogs should be between 12 and 13 inches tall and weigh between 13 and 18 pounds.
They come in four different coat colors: Blenheim (chestnut markings on a white background), Tricolor (black markings on a white background), Black and Tan (black with tan markings), and Ruby (a rich red).
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel exercise requirements
Cavaliers have moderate exercise needs. They’re content with some activities such as a walk, trips to the dog park or play time in the backyard or garden. Equally, they enjoy napping with their pet owner on the sofa.
Generally, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will require around 30 minutes of exercise a day.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel health
Cavaliers are prone to some health conditions like any dog breed.
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are prone to mitral valve heart disease, syringomyelia, hip dysplasia and some other health issues. If you’ve got any concerns or questions about the health of your dog, you should contact your vet immediately.
Anything else to consider?
We recommend speaking to your vet before you switch your Cavalier to a new diet. If you decide to go ahead and sign up to a dog food delivery company, they’ll usually provide a guideline to gradually introduce their new food into their diet. If you switch too fast, you could cause a tummy upset or diarrhea.
This article does not constitute expert advice and we recommend contacting your vet if you have any concerns or issues. You can also reach out to the company you’re thinking about subscribing to as they’ll usually have experts on hand to offer advice.
So there you have it, we’ve reached the end of our article on the best dog food for Cavaliers. We believe dog food delivery companies are a great option for dog owners.
Whether you’ve got a Cavalier who is looking to shed some pounds or put on a little weight, a CKCS with a sensitive tummy, or a cute spaniel that is picky at dinner time, you may want to try a fresh and healthy alternative rather than traditional dog food options.